There are four network providers currently operating in Italy, with one merger and one new entrant scheduled:
- WindTre: Wind merging with Tre (3)
- Iliad (launched in 2018)
The parent companies Vimpelcom and CK Hutchison of Wind and Tre (3) agreed to a merger in 2015. This deal was approved by regulatory bodies in 2016.Wind and Tre are merging to one network WindTre in 2017-9. Both brands are being maintained.
Both merging operators had to hand over spectrum to a new market entrant to get this deal approved. This new player comes from French Iliad Group that shook the French market some years ago with its brand Free mobile. In Italy it launched in May 2018 with predatory pricing starting a price war. They don't sell prepaid, but only rolling contracts like Free Mobile in France. The other providers reacted by lowering prices and launching new budget brands.
In recent years MVNOs have started up competing with the network providers on their networks. Major MVNOs like CoopVoce, PosteMobile, FastWeb, Lycamobile, Ringo Mobile, Tiscali, 1Mobile, NoiTel, ho mobile, Kena mobile Digi Mobil and 1Mobile are listed.
The city-state of the Vatican doesn't have own operators and is fully covered by Italian operators instead. The tiny country of San Marino used to sell own SIM cards by San Marino Telecom under the Prima brand, but has stopped this now. It's also fully covered by Italian antennas instead.
Frequencies and coverage Edit
- 2G: up to EDGE is on 900, 1800 MHz spectrum is being reused for LTE
- 3G: up to DC-HSPA+ is on 900 (Band 8) and 2100 MHz (Band 1)
- 4G/LTE : 800 MHz (band 20), 1800 MHz (band 3), 2600 MHz (band 7). Additionally TIM is using the unusual 1500 MHz (band 32) in metro areas and Tre is testing TD-LTE on 2600 MHz (band 38). Vodafone has started to deploy LTE also on 2100 MHz (band 1) in large cities.
- 5G: started in 2019 on the major networks on 3600 MHz in a few cities, but is not far not available for prepaid. For 5G a 5th operator will be active with Fastweb that builds its network iwth WindTre.
TIM and Vodafone have the best coverage. Both are at around 97% of population with 4G/LTE. This is followed by Tre and Wind with around 80%. Speed tests in 2016 gave similar results: Vodafone is in the lead, followed by TIM, Tre is in 3rd position and Wind is last. This ranking varies significantly between different areas and may have improved by the new Tre/Wind roaming, but only TIM and Vodafone are using carrier aggregation (2x, 3x, 4x) so far.
The new 4th network Iliad has deployed own 3G/4G infrastructure and relies on a 10 year- RAN-sharing and roaming contract with WindTre giving it a reasonable nationwide coverage at the start.
Legal requirements Edit
To purchase a prepaid (= ricaricabile) SIM card a photo ID (e.g. a passport) is mandatory in Italy. You can get them in the shops of the providers where they will be registered as well
You might be asked for a "codice fiscale" (tax code), a sequence of letters and digits for Italian citiziens and expats for tax and identification matters (more info in Italian.). As a non-Italian traveller of course you don't have yours, but given that it's made by an algorithm considering your name, gender, birth date and birth place, it may be easliy created by specific software or online: How to create a codice fiscale. Some shop sellers may propose you to calculate yours to fill in the purchase contract: for an administrative point of view it might not be the best practice but, due to bureaucratic minutiae, in the end it's the faster way to get a SIM card. So better have your codice fiscale handy and print out when you buy a SIM card.
Triple cut mini-, micro-, nano-SIM cards are available for all networks.
All major operators also give out apps to check balance, change plans or activate options. However, Italian providers geo-restrict their apps in the Play or App Store. If you want to use them, check our manual how to install geo-restricted apps.
Italian SIM cards are generally very generous about their expiry. But during a pause some operators have tried to change your tariff in the past from a free base plan to a different plan with a monthly debit. As you mostly don't have connection in that period to receive system SMS, it's essential to check tariff plans from time to time online on your account, as long as you have standing balance on the SIM card.
The expiry policies of the major network providers is as follows: SIM will stay active for 11-12 months from activation or its last recharge. Then it falls in passive mode with credit frozen for up to 12 more months. During this time you can re-activate it by going to a service center of the provider showing your passport again. After 24 months from the last top-up your number will be suspended forever and the remaining credit is lost. Have in mind that many MVNOs have adopted a more rigid validity policy instead.
EU roaming Edit
All major network operators TIM, Vodafone, Wind and Tre give out domestic allowances for EU/EEA roaming with and without special caps and may limit to 4 months of continuous use. What the MVNOs are concerned, this is also true to Poste Mobile, Tiscali, Kena Mobile and Coop Voce. Fastweb has issued clear caps, Lycamobile gives out only some packages for roaming and Digi Mobile and Ringo skip the rules by not offering data roaming at all. So stay away from them when you want to use data outside Italy.
Billing cycle Edit
In 2016/7 most operators changed from a monthly cycle of 30 days to a period of 4 weeks or 28 days. Thus a year suddenly becomes 13 "months" or cycles. This policy was banned by the Italian parliament in a new law and all providers now have to go back to the billing of "lunar months". This transition happened in the spring of 2018 and led to a slightly different pricing as mentioned in the article. That's why the numbers in some offers are so odd with some providers. From May 2018 all billing will be in "true" months meaning the (re)start date of the plan stays on the same day of the month regardless how many days the current month has.
Base rate Edit
For all Italian plans you are on a base rate, that runs together with your add-on options. Italian operators try to make money as they put you on a payable base rate after activation of a new SIM card by default. By this way you will be charged 2€ to 3€ per month for advertisements and services you will most likely not need. It's recommended to change your base plan to a free base plan. This can be done already at the point of activation (sometimes for a fee), but must also be possible by law anytime through your online account or app for free. This change of base rates is especially suggested when you like to pause your plan for a while, because the base rate can't be stopped and SIM cards of some Italian providers can even run into negative balance.
Top-ups can be bought in the country at many places like tobacconists (blue-'n-white / black-'n-white "T" signs), supermarkets, newsagents and even some bars or coffeeshops.
Online many Italian providers decline credit or debit cards from out of the country on their website or through their app. This has now made illegal in the EU and at least EU-issued cards should be accepted, but it remains to be seen whether this new EU regulation has any effect. But trying to top-up from outside while roaming in Europe or keeping your SIM alive, you may run into high surcharges of 3rd party agencies.
There is a workaround confirmed for Vodafone, TIM, 3, Wind and others that accept PayPal. You need to open an Italian PayPal account on a random Italian address using the internet connection of your Italian SIM card (or a VPN with Italian IP). It needs to be linked to a different email address, if you already have a PayPal account in your country and will be verified through your Italian phone number. This Italian PayPal account can be used to top-up without any fees as long as currency stays in Euro (else only conversion fees apply). You can transfer funds from your local PayPal to the Italian or link it to most international credit or debit cards.
The Italian market is one of the most competitive in Europe. On this list many temporary offers are not listed as they change by the week. There are online offers that can only be ordered to an Italian postal address which is not so convenient for travellers. Offers for customers whose SIM cards haven't been actively used for a while called Win Back and for porting customers from other providers called Operator Attack are not listed too as they don't apply to most visitors. Always ask for promotions when you look around at the shops.
TIM owned by Telecom Italia is still the biggest operator in the country. All of the country is covered by 2G, 97% of the population is covered by 3G and 4G/LTE is available in 6,300 municipalities covering 94% of the population: TIM 4G coverage. From 2017 the rather unusual band 32 on 1500 MHz was added for LTE aggregation in Turin, Milan, Rome, Naples, Palermo, Taormina and Giardini-Naxos.
5G started in summer 2019 in a few Italian cities and will be build up in cooperation with Vodafone.
A TIM SIM card costs 10 € with 5 € credit in their stores (store locator) . Sometimes they charge an activation fee for new customers of 3 € for activating a package. If you order online on their website sent to an Italian address, you will be charged 20 € and given 15 € credit pre-loaded with free delivery.
TIM now seems to accept foreign credit cards topping up online on their website (select "Ricarica online") when you tick the "Carta estero" box.
In Italy you can top-up by going to certain tobacconists, supermarkets, newsagents or bars, where the clerk behind the counter either does the recharge on his terminal for cash, or sells you a card with a 16-digit code you can SMS to 40916 in order to redeem the top-up.
Tourist SIM (recommended)
For tourists TIM has released a SIM card called Tim Tourist for 20 € (+ 10 € for the SIM, including credit of 1 €), 200 minutes for call and 15 GB of data in Italy and up to 6 GB in the EU for a month.
Calls are domestic and international to 65 countries (for list scroll to Paesi Abilitati), data is on 3G/4G and will be throttled to 32 Kbps after exceeding quota. No upsize or extensions possible.
Some shops may not like to sell you this offer, as they don't get any benefits from it. Be firm and polite. You may show them a print-out of the offer or let them call Head Office. Numerous users reported problems in getting this official offer by going to more than one TIM store, but it's possible.
Their prepaid base plans (TIM calls them "Piani Base") are:
- TIM One Prime Go costs 2.11 € per month with the first month after activation available for free. It also includes data-free access to the Serie A TIM app, free calls and SMS to a preferred number and 2 for 1 cinema tickets at 900 theatres all over Italy from Monday to Friday. This plan is enabled by default for new SIM cards.
- TIM Base New and TIM Semplice are their base plans without a base rate and slightly higher domestic call and text rates; TIM Base New with a connection fee, TIM Semplice without.
If you are not interested in their special promotional add-ons, it's better to go with TIM Base New or Semplice base plans, as no weekly or monthly base rate is debited. Change for free in store already, on your online profile, by app or by calling 40916 or 119.
If no package for data has been activated, TIM charges the default tariff for data: 4 € per day for 500 MB at high speed (4G/LTE) then throttled to 32 Kbps. This is reset at midnight, when a new daily bundly is charged.
SIM cards are sold for 10 € with 5 € credit on, but many shops charge you more, telling that you must get an offer (usually voice and data bundles with automatic renewal every 28 days). No other data packages are offered with these tariffs. You have to switch to a combo, data or tourist plan instead. So the base plan is only an option for data users, when you park your plan while don't use it.
Combo plans Edit
They have introduced prepaid SIMs with combined packages, all valid for a month. All plans have automatic renewal on the same calendar day of activation. If there's no credit left, the plan will be renewed, but you have to top up, otherwise you won't be able to use the allowances. The plans available are listed below:
|Senza LimiteSeries||Voice||Data||EU Cap||Top-up
|Gold||unlimited||18 GB||8 GB||25 €||18 €||Chat, Social, Music|
|Platinum||unlimited||50 GB||20 GB||59 €||49 €||Chat, Social, Music|
Chat includes unlimited use of WhatsApp, Facebook Chat, Skype, iMessage, Imo, Telegram, Viber, Snapchat, WeChat, all not in EU roaming. Music streaming includes unlimited streaming via Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music, iTunes streaming, SoundCloud, Google Play Music, Xbox live, Microsoft Groove, all not in EU roaming.
For more data, you can add another 1 GB for 5 € or 2 GB for 10 €, with auto-renewal every month. Online, this is done on the TIM website; you can click "Offerte", "Mobile", "Voce e Internet", then look at "Opzioni TIM". For data overuse without an add-on 1.90 € per 200 MB are charged up to 1 GB or 9.50 € and then shut off.
Data-only SIM Edit
Activation of a new data SIM is 5 € with a minimum top-up of 25 € leaving you 20 € credit on the account. You can activate it online, but it's better to do it in a TIM store. All packages are on up to 4G/LTE with up to 700 Mbit/s for a month each:
|Data plan||Data||EU cap||Time||Price|
|Internet 10GB||10 GB||3 GB||1 month||5.99 €|
|Supergiga 20GB||20 GB||5 GB||1 month||9.99 €|
|Supergiga 40GB||40 GB||5 GB||1 month||11.98 €|
|Internet 100GB||100 GB||50 GB||6 months||49 €|
|Internet 200GB||200 GB||50 GB||1 year||99 €|
Night data is valid 11.30pm-8am. Monthly packs are discounted by 50%, if you link it to an Italian credit card or Italian bank account, which most travellers won't have. On most packages no EU cap is enforced and all data can be used in the EU without surcharges (except Internet 80GB). Tethering and hotspot use are allowed.
TIM international - for foreigners only Edit
TIM international is a series of plans only given out to everyone born outside Italy. You will be asked for proof that you were not born in Italy. Any official document that shows your place of birth will suffice. A foreign passport or ID card is generally accepted.
- TIM International Senza Limite: 11.99 € for unlimited domestic mins and up to 300 mins to certain countries and 30 GB data with unlimited chat (for messengers see list above) in Italy (capped at 5 GB in the EU) per month, no further activation fees when activated on new SIM cards
- TIM International 30GB: 9.99 € (9 € if linked to auto-pay) for 30 GB (EU roaming cap: 5 GB) per month. All consumption through WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Skype, iMessage, Imo, Telegram, Viber, Snapchat, WeChat is free (in Italy only, not in EU roaming). Activation charge: 5 € (online for free).
These plans need to be activated on an existing or new SIM either by calling customer service 119 or 40916 or online on your TIM account. All plans auto-renew. Use the same methods to suspend.
Roaming offers Edit
TIM has implemented Roam like at Home mostly without restrictions on all prepaid plans. Alternatively, they still offer these add-on packages on top of your allowance instead of taking it from your domestic bundle:
- TIM in Viaggio Pass: 500 minutes voice (= 250 mins incoming and 250 mins outgoing), 500 SMS and 10 GB data valid for 30 days in all countries of Europe (including Switzerland and Monaco), USA, Canada, and Brazil on all TIM voice & data SIMs for 20 €. This option can be activated by texting "TVPASS ON" to 40916. To check allowances, text 'SALDO TVPASS'.
- TIM in Viaggio Internet: 4 GB for 10 days in the EU, Switzerland and USA at 25 €. This option is only for data on data SIM cards. It can be activated by texting "VIAGGIOINTERNET ON" to 40916. To check allowances, text 'SALDO VIAGGIOINTERNET'.
- For roaming in Switzerland and Monaco TIM offers TIM in Viaggio Full with 500 MB at 3 € per day. To activate, text 'VIAGGIOFULL ON' to 40916.
- For Switzerland alone there is TIM Opzione Svizzera with 500 minutes and 5 GB data for 5 € a month. Activate online here with your TIM phone number.
- For roaming in 73 countries outside the EU/EEA zone from Afghanistan to Vietnam (full country list) including Cuba (!) TIM has introduced the new TIM in Viaggio Pass Mondo with 100 mins (= 50 mins incoming and 50 mins outgoing), 100 SMS and 500 MB for 10 days at 30 €. To activate text "TVPMONDO ON" to 40916, to check allowances, text 'SALDA TVPMONDO'.
- some VoIP has been blocked in the past, but this ban was lifted in 2016
- tethering is enabled and allowed
- APN: ibox.tim.it /or/ wap.tim.it
- Website (mostly in Italian): http://www.tim.it
Vodafone is Italy's 2nd network and according to tests in 2016 it has surpassed TIM in 4G speeds and coverage. 4G/LTE covers 97% of the population in 2017 and is included in most of their prepaid plans: Vodafone 4G map.
5G started in summer 2019 in a few Italian cites and is available on prepaid without surcharge or at 5 € depending on plan. It will be deployed in cooperation with TIM.
Their SIM card is for 10 €, but almost all shops force you to get a bundle plan, so you have to pay extra money to get the SIM card. SIM cards are sold in their stores (store locator), or online to be sent to an Italian postal address.
Vodafone can be topped up locally with 5-100€ using vouchers or in rare cases directly with the number, like the other providers. Vouchers can be redeemed by texting the 16-digit-code to 42010, or by using My Vodafone. It seems to be possible to top it up online on a third-party-site using international Mastercard or VISA without surcharge, even though it says in the conditions that only Italian cards would work. On mobile devices, the browser has to be switched to the desktop version. Their own online top up site, on the other hand, only accepts Italian cards and PayPal, everything else aborts with an error message.
To check credit, dial 414 (default voice rates apply, not included in bundles), or open My Vodafone (app or online). Be aware that Vodafone is the only network that charges calls to check the balance.
Base plans Edit
Vodafone offers two base plans without a monthly base rate, that are rather expensive:
- Tutto Facile Basic: has a daily rate of 4 € for up to 500 MB.
- Vodafone 19: has a daily rate of 1 GB at 6 € and a mandatory charge of 0.49 € per week giving you 2 GB free on Sundays.
On both plans every 100 MB on top is at 2 €. 4G/LTE is not included and costs 1.90 € extra. That's why their other plans may be a better deal. You can change plans in your online account.
There are three combo plans, all valid for 28 days with 4G/LTE included plus unlimited calls and texts:
|Unlimited x4 Pro||10 GB||6 GB||19.99 €||14.99 €||Chat, Maps, Social, Music|
|Unlimited Smart||20 GB||10 GB||24.99 €||18.99 €||Chat, Maps, Social, Music|
|Unlimited Ultra||30 GB||13 GB||34.99 €||24.99 €||Chat, Maps, Social, Music|
|Unlimited Black||unlimited||22 GB||59.99 €||39.99 €||Chat, Maps, Social, Music|
Unlimited Black also includes 5 GB and 500 voice minutes of out-of-EU roaming in 17 countries.
These prices are discounted as shown, if you link it to auto-pay through a credit card or an EU bank account. EU roaming is capped as specified.
When a new SIM card is bought, Vodafone enables some extra services (= a waste of money) even if you don't want to, such as Vodafone Rete Sicura (1 € per month, "safe" internet browsing - doesn't affect browsing at all), Vodafone Exclusive (1.90 € per month, this extra enables tethering and 4G/LTE, otherwise it would be 6 € per day of usage), Chiamami/Recall (this service sends a text if someone tried to call you while your phone was switched off/out of reach for 0.12 € per SMS). You can disable these services online or by calling 42071.
To all offers Vodafone's social and chat pass is added for free. In Italy (not in roaming) it gives unlimited traffic not debited from your general balance through Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, Snapchat, Tumblr, Pinterest, Happn, Imo, ASKfm, Whatsapp, Skype, Telegram, Viber, WeChat, iMessage, Message+, Call+, Hallo , Viber and Snapchat.
Activation can be made online or by calling 42070. Base rate and data package will auto-renew after 28 days. When data is used up, you will be on the default rate of 2 € per day for 200 MB or you can buy another data package from the mobile app:
- Extra 1 GB: 5 €
- Extra 2 GB: 10 €
- Extra 5 GB: 15 €
All add-ons will also renew after 28 days, if not stopped before. All allowances can be used in the EU for roaming without surcharges.
SIM for foreigners Edit
Vodafone offers a special plan to foreigners without Italian citizenship showing an ID document from abroad. It's called C’all Global + and is a combo pack with 300 mins from Italia to about 50 countries, 500 domestic mins and 35 GB of data (roaming in the EU: max. 4.2 GB) for a month at 11.99 €. New activations are for 3 €. It includes the Vodafone Pass Web Voce with zero-rated chat and messenger apps (see above) and VoIP calls.
As a tourist plan Vodafone offers Dolce Vita for 24.99 € per month exclusively to foreign tourists. It includes 30 GB in Italy (15 GB in the EU), 600 minutes domestic and to many international destinations and their Social, Chat and Map Passes with zero-rated apps. This plan is free of an activation charge.
They offer these usual prepaid data packages for modems and tablets in 4G/LTE for 28 days with an activation fee of 3 €:
|Package||Price||Data||Night Data||EU cap|
|Total Giga Digital||15 €||30 GB||+ 15 GB||5.5 GB|
|Giga In&Out||13 €||20 GB||+ 20 GB||4.7 GB|
|Total Giga||30 €||50 GB||+ 50 GB||10.9 GB|
Take care to buy either a prepaid (= ricaricabile) or a contract (= abbonamento) SIM! Night data is valid from midnight to 8am.
Roaming offers Edit
Vodafone has implemented roaming at domestic prices on all of their plans. All EU/EEA roaming is subject to a FUP of 3.7 GB per 10 € package price that is given out without surcharge.
But they offer 5 GB for full usage in the EU (except Italy) for 2,99€ per week without an activation fee with an option called Giga Europe. It does not auto-renew. Make sure to cancel all domestic plans immediately when they hit their FUP (SMS-notification), if necessary by contacting customer service. Otherwise the domestic plan could be preferred over this option and drain the balance.
Like TIM they offer multiple passports for outside the EU roaming zone:
- in Switzerland, Turkey, Albania and Monaco - Smart Passport: 200 MB, 60 mins voice roaming (as 30 incoming mins and 30 outgoing mins) and 60 internatl. SMS per calendar day (based on Italian time) are included for 3 €. They charge you only on days of use. Beyond 200 MB per day, you are charged 2 € per 100 MB, up to 1 GB. VoIP is allowed, but no tethering. Use this APN while roaming: web.vodafone.it
- in USA and Canada - Smart Passport+: 500 MB, 60 mins voice roaming (as 30 incoming mins and 30 outgoing mins) and 60 internatl. SMS per calendar day (based on Italian time) are included for 3 €. Beyond 500 MB per day, you are charged 3 € per 200 MB, up to 1 GB. They charge you only on days of use.
- in 39 countries - Smart Passport+ Mondo: 30 mins voice (= 15 mins incoming and 15 mins outgoing), 30 SMS, 300 or 500 MB per calendar day (based on Italian time, varies by country) for 6 € per day.
Smart Passport options do not have to be activated ahead of time; upon first use in the destination country, the daily charge will be deducted. There is also a Travel Mondo option, which does have to be activated in your online account ahead of time:
- Travel Mondo: 200 mins voice (100 mins incoming and 100 mins outgoing), 10 internatl. SMS, and 3, 5, or 10 GB depending on destination country for 10 days are included for 24.99 €. Overuse of data will be charged at the Smart Passport daily rate for the country you are currently in.
Check here to see what data allowance applies to the country you will be visiting.
- VoIP îs allowed
- Tethering is allowed and free (used to be 6 € extra on data SIMs)
- 4G/LTE has no speed cap
- if you end your data allowance your connection will be blocked until next renewal or you will pay exceeding usage, following the plan rules
- APN: mobile.vodafone.it /or/ web.vodafone.it - special APNs for the roaming bundles (see above)
- Website in Italian: http://www.vodafone.it
In January 2017 WindTre was born. This newly merged company has now 27 million mobile customers. In summer 2018 Hutchison (former owner of Tre) wants to take over the rest of the company and to buy out Veon (former owner of Wind) pending approval.
In 2018 the merger is still going on, the two brands and portfolios of Wind and Tre remain separate for now. That's why they are still shown as own brands until their portfolios will be merged in the future too. At the end of 2018 it seems that Hutchison has bought out Veon and WindTre is now under Asian control.
Wind (to be merged with 3)EditWind used to be Italy's 3rd network in market share before the merger with Tre in 2017. They offer 2G, 3G and 4G/LTE up to 150 Mbps without surcharge to all of its plans and packages. Their LTE network covers about only 65% of the population so far, making it the lowest coverage of any network (you can check coverage here: Wind Coverage Checker).
SIM card or rather activation costs 10 €, done in Wi shops Wind Store Locator .
Top-up cards can be purchased in tobacco stores for 5€, 10€, 15€, etc. all over Italy. Wind excludes most international credit and debit cards from their online top-up, but PayPal remains an option. Without top-up, the SIM card is valid for 30 days after activation. After each top-up the validity gets extended by 13 months.
Text "Saldo" to 4155 to get your balance and the details of the offers on your SIM card and "Dati" to get data credit.
They sell different tariffs for voice, text and data, with charges only if you use it. On all plans Wind Basic for 2.17 € per month is automatically enabled by default. You need to change this online on your account or by app to Wind Easy, if you want to avoid a base charge.
Default data rate Edit
Their default rate for data without having activated a data package is their daily rate and rather expensive: 4 € are charged per day for up to 500 MB in up to 3G speed until midnight local time. This is charged for any data use, but throttled to 32 Kbps using more. It will be reset around 2am when a new daily pack is charged (as long as you use data). So better add a package.
Combo plan Edit
You can change to their combo plans instead with auto-renew every month on the same day and include unlimited calls and texts and data allowance:
|All Inclusive||20 GB||40 GB||5.1 GB||13.99 €|
|A.I. Young||20 GB||30 GB||3.3 GB||8.99 €||only for under 30 y/o|
All prices are discounted by 2 € when you link them to an Italian credit card or a local bank account. When ordered online to a store or Italian postal address, activation fee is skipped. Be prepared to show your ID. Otherwise activation fee is 3 € as long as you don't port the number within 2 years. Otherwise, they will try to charge 16 €, if you change.
Data feature packages Edit
These data packages can be added to all prepaid SIM cards as well, even base plans without allowances. The add-on data packages can be activated online on your account or by app valid for one month:
- + 1 GB: 3 €
- + 3 GB: 6 €
- + 5 GB: 9 €
Data-only SIM Edit
These data-only plans are given out for tablets and modems, but work in smartphones too:
|Internet 20 Giga||20 GB||3.7 GB||9.99 €||7.99 €|
|Internet 50 Giga||50 GB||5.5 GB||14.99 €||12.99 €|
Activation is online or by texting code to 4033 for free. Activation fee for the two options is 5 € each. Both plans are discounted by 2 € when you link it to a credit card. This is called auto-pay, but you may have to use an Italian credit card for it. Having reached included volume, speed is throttled to 32 Kbps. They will auto-renew after 28 days. To stop text 'INTERNET NO' before renewal to 4032. To check data balance, text 'DATI' to 4155.
Tourist SIMs Edit
Finally Wind also released a SIM card aimed at tourists:
- Italy Tourist Pass: 14.99 € - including 100 minutes voice domestic and and 100 mins to 40 countries (list in the middle ) and 20 GB of data valid for 30 days. This offer does not include EU Roaming.
SIMs for foreigners only Edit
For non-Italian citizens only carrying a passport or ID from outside the country, Wind has released these offers:
- Giga International: 9.99 € - including 30 GB data (EU cap: 3.8 GB) valid for one month. The activation fee is 5 € and the SIM card is for 9 €, making the total cost 24 € for the first month and 10 € for following months. This offer is only for customers with foreign citizenship. It can be started by texting 'GIGA INTERNATIONAL SI' to 4033. As it auto-renews after a month, it can be stopped by 'GIGA INTERNATIONAL NO'. Check data balance by texting 'SALDO' to 4155. After using all your data, the allowance can be renewed by texting ‘INTERNET RESTART SI’ to 4033.
- Call your Country Super: 9.99 € - including 20 GB data (30 GB, if linked to a credit card; EU cap: 3.7 GB), 500 mins and 200 mins foreign calls to about 50 countries (list) per month. 5 € activation fee, only with foreign passports. The 8 GB data and 500 mins can be used in EU roaming too. To activate text 'ESTERO SUPER SI' to 4033, to stop 'ESTERO SUPER NO', to check balances *123*168#.
- Call your Country Premium: like Call your Country Super mentioned above, but with 40 GB (EU cap: 4.4 GB) included instead plus the same voice for 11.99 €. To activate text 'ESTERO PLATINUM SI' to 4033, to stop 'ESTERO PLATINUM NO',
- Call your Country One: like Call your Country Super mentioned above, but with 100 GB (EU cap: 7.2 GB) included instead plus 500 mins abroad for 19.99 €.
Wind has scrapped all roaming surcharges and introduced "Roam like Home" dubbed "Easy Europe" in all EU/EEA countries and offers roaming in all of their prepaid plans at domestic rates. In 2018 they implemented a FUP on the basis of 370 MB without surcharges for every € in a plan (eg. 3.6 GB for a 10 € plan, see calculator). All overuse will be surcharged with 0.549c per MB (equal to 5.50 € per GB).
For roaming outside the EU zone they have released three passes:
- Travel Daily: 30 mins (= 15 mins incloming, 15 mins outgoing), 30 SMS and 100 MB per day for 6 € in about 50 countries mentioned here. Activation is by texting "TRAVEL DAILY SI" to 4033.
- Travel Weekly: 200 mins (= 100 mins incoming, 100 mins outgoing), 200 SMS, 600 MB per week for 10 € in about 10 countries mentioned here. Activation is by texting "TRAVEL WEEKLY SI" to 4033.
- Giga Travel Weekly: 1 GB per week for 10 € in Monaco, Switzerland, USA, Albania, Armenia, Australia, Bangladesh, Egypt, Georgia, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macao, Malaysia, Moldavia, Montenegro, New Zealand, Qatar, Russia, Serbia, Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey and Uzbekistan. Activation is by texting "GIGA TRAVEL SI" to 4033.
All packages have a fee of 2 € for activation. The price of the pack is only charged when the package is used for roaming. They may auto-renew, if you have credit and stay in the roaming area. You can restart the weekly packages by "RESTART" to 4033. Three months after activation the package will automatically be deactivated.
- APN: internet.wind
- Tethering and VoIP are both allowed
- Website in Italian: http://www.wind.it/it/privati/
3 ('Tre' - to be merged with Wind)Edit
3 (spoken: Tre) used to be Italy's 4th and smallest network by market share before the merger with Wind in 2017. It used to be 3G and 4G-only, but after the Wind merger 2G is offered too, while the old 2G roaming on TIM has been discontinued. Tre's own 3G network reaches 97% of population, while its 4G reaches 80%: Tre 3G/4G coverage map. Tre has been maintained as an own brand under the WindTre roof, but focuses contract customers while most prepaid offers have been shifted to Wind.
For 4G/LTE you'll need activate their Opzione LTE. This is free of charge for new subscribers, but charged at 1 € per month for existing customers. Be aware, that you need to disable this option when you want to pause your SIM or for every month 1 € will be debited.
SIM cards are sold online to be sent to an Italian postal address or in 3stores (store locator).Voice SIM card costs 20 € start-up price. When ordered online, it will be sent with the same credit on. In 3stores, they may charge you around 5 € for activation.
Top-ups can be made with scratch cards. Since 2016/7 it proved to impossible to top-up Tre SIM cards online with a non-Italian credit/debit card. Furthermore PayPal payments are restricted to accounts opened on the Italian PayPal site. So you are limited to a few top-up agencies charging you a premium from abroad or better buy scratch cards while in the country.
Base plans Edit
Their prepaid base tariff without add-ons is called "Power29". Default data rate for new activations is 0.20 € per 20 MB and a mandatory charge of 2.17 € per month. You can change the plan after activation to the free 3Basic base plan by app or in your account.
Online or by phone you can buy the only data add-on called "Super Internet" giving you 3 GB high speed data per month up to 100 Mbit/s on 4G/LTE for 5 €.
Combo plans Edit
Furthermore, they offer these combo plans valid for a month and a year respectively:
- Play Power: with 30 GB (EU: 4.4 GB), unlimited voice and SMS for 11.99 €
- Play Special 360: with 360 GB (EU: 43.8 GB), unlimited voice, and 2400 SMS for 119.99 €
There is also a tourist offer from Tre, but it is not as competitive as the other providers' offerings:
- Play Tourist: With 20 GB (no data roaming!), 500 national minutes, 100 international minutes, 100 SMS for 24.99 €
Play plans have an activation charge of 9 € (no charge for Play Tourist). If you exceed usage, you'll be charged for extra at your base rate. The Play Special 360 plan is fully flexible; you can choose to use less of your allowances in one month and more in another. In case of insufficient credit the option will be put to a hold for up to 180 days. Standard ALL-IN plans now require a 24 month commitment and have been removed, but the "international" ALL-IN options remain available:
- ALL-IN International Red New: with 1 GB and 500 minutes to Canada, China, India, USA, Hong Kong, Singapore for 5 €
- ALL-IN International Blue New: With 1 GB and 200 minutes to multiple countries (check here for list) for 5 €
There is no activation charge to activate these options on a new SIM.
Data add-on Edit
There is one additional data add-on:
- 20 Giga: with 20 GB (EU: 5.5 GB) for 15 €
There is no activation charge for this option.
Data-only SIM Edit
Their data-only SIM is aimed at tablets and modems. The base plan is called 'SuperWeb New'. Default rate is 0.50 € per 100 MB. You can add one of the SuperInternet data packages at max. 100 Mbps. Be aware that most of the plans require an Italian credit card (carta de credito) or local bank account (conto corrente). Only one monthly plan can be used on a prepaid account (credito residuo) and includes "Giga Bank":
- SuperInternet 30GB: 30 GB (EU: 3.3 GB) for 8.99 €
Activation of a new SIM card is free, but you need to buy a SIM for 20 € with the same credit loaded. If you want to activate the package on an existing SIM card, Tre charges 9 €. Although tethering is not contractually allowed, it works without surcharge. Giga Bank means a roll-over of unused allowances to the next month. Max. speed on 4G/LTE where available is 100 Mbps. Overuse is charged at 0.50 € per 100 MB.
EU roaming Edit
Roaming in the EU/EEA at domestic rates dubbed 'Easy Europe' is for all their plans and packages. In 2018 they implemented a FUP on the basis of 280 MB without surcharges for every € in a plan (eg. 3.7 GB for a 10 € plan). All overuse will be surcharged by 0.549c per MB (5.50 € per GB).
They have introduced a package for about 50 countries outside the EU zone (listed here) called 'Internet Pass'. 100 MB for three days following the day of activation based on Italian time at 5 €. Activation is by app, on your account or through customer support.
- APN: tre.it
- Be careful not to tap an ad banner as some ads automatically enable value-added 3rd party services.
- Website in Italian: http://www.tre.it/
Iliad by the French operator that offers 'Free mobile' in France has acquired the 4th licence as network operator in Italy after the merger of Tre and Wind. They employ national roaming and RAN-sharing in 2G/3G and 4G/LTE with WindTre after sealing a contract for 10 years (In non merged areas only Wind network gets used).
The new network was commercially launched on May 29, 2018. Because of the agreement with WinTre coverage is nationwide and equal to Wind or Tre (coverage map) and their signal might be shown as '222-50'. It's expected that the highly competitive market in Italy will be again heated up by their low-cost model.
Their introductory offer in May 2018 shook the industry. Like in France they don't offer regular prepaid plans, but only rolling contracts, that can be terminated at the end of each month. In summer 2018 they signed two million users within three months alone targeting a 10% share of the Italian market later.
Their SIM cards are available in a few stores (store locator), online to be sent to an Italian postal address only or at the self service kiosks called "Sim-Box" similar to the French bornes. There you need to scan your ID and link your credit card to the new contract. There is only one plan available so far, that isn't prepaid, but a rolling contract and some foreigners have been able to sign up so far. A new SIM card in triple format is for 9.99 € at the machine or by mail.
You can change the payment method to "Manual" (simple prepaid, not linked to any credit card) in your personal Iliad account in "I miei Dati" section.
The rolling contract can be terminated by a written cancellation (called: recesso): this can be done by sending a fax to +39 02 30377960 or online in your personal Iliad account.
They only offer two plans currently:
- Giga 50: unlimited minutes and SMS and 50 GB in Italy for 7.99 € per month. Voice calls to 60 countries (landlines only) are included, but only 4 GB of roaming allowance outside Italy.
- Voce: unlimited minutes and SMS and 40 MB in Italy and the EU for 4.99 € per month. Voice calls to 60 countries (landlines only) are included.
All excess data are charged with 0.90 € per 100 MB in Italy and 7.32c per MB (7.32 €/GB) in the EU.
Note that there are few countries with 4G/LTE roaming abroad available so far.
More info Edit
- APN: Iliad
- Website in Italian: http://www.iliad.it/
Coop VoceEditCoop Voce is a MVNO using the TIM network, running on 2G, 3G, and 4G/LTE. SIM cards are sold by one of the Italy's biggest supermarket chain "coop" in all their stores nationwide: coop store locator.
An Android/iOS app is available, it allows to check balance and remaining allowances and to enable new plans.
The SIM card is sold for 10 € with 5 € balance. You can change tariffs online in your clients area or by calling 188 or 4243688. The first change is free, all subsequent changes are for 5 €.
Top-ups can be made at Coop shops, at tobacco's or online after registration even with foreign credit cards in increments of 5 €. To check your balance, text 'INFO SIM' to 4243688 for free. To top-up by voucher text 'RIC<blank><voucher PIN>' to 4243688.
Feature plan Edit
Coop Voce always advertises one monthly feature plan that changes from time to time
- Chiama Tutti Extra: with 30 GB, unlmited minutes and SMS at 10 €.
Plans can be stopped at the end of the month or renewed ahead of time by texting "RINNOVA <plan name>" to 4243688, but only the running new feature plan can be activated then for a 9 € fee or data packs (see below).
Data feature packagesEdit
These packages can be added for more data
|10 GB||1 month||8 €||SI 10 GIGA|
|20 GB||1 month||12 €||SI 20 GIGA|
|10 GB per month||12 months||69 €||online or app|
|20 GB per month||12 months||99 €||online or app|
For activation, simply text code to 4243688. Check data credit by texting 'INFO SIM' to 4243688 or +39 3344443688. When you have used up all data, you can buy another package ahead of time by calling 118. Each package will automatically renew after one month, if there is credit. If not, the pack will be terminated. To stop call 4243688 before the renewal date. The SIM stays valid for 24 months, which is the longest time without top-up of any Italian SIM card.
EU roaming Edit
Coop Voce implements "Roam like at home" regulations for EU roaming at domestic rates. They remain one of the few providers in Italy who haven't specified any FUP yet and give all domestic volumes in EU countries without restrictions so far.
More info Edit
- APN: web.coopvoce.it
- Tethering is allowed
- Website in Italian: http://portale.coopvoce.it/web/portale
PosteMobile is the MVNO of Italian Mail (Poste Italiane) which used to operate on Vodafone. In 2014 they switched over to the Wind network on 2G, 3G and 4G/LTE. It's the biggest MVNO by customer numbers in the country and opened 4G/LTE for all of its tariffs. All allowances can be used in the EU at domestic rates.
This SIM can be bought (theoretically) in every postal office in Italy and postal agencies called "ki point" for 15 € with 5 € credit included, but they are probably easier to find in the central post offices: List . SIM are also sold online on their website to be sent to an Italian postal address.
Anyway, all post offices and agencies accept top-ups or you can do that online after registration using a credit card.
Combo packages Edit
- Creami Style contains 500 mins and SMS, 5 GB data per month (max. 1.82 GB in the EU) for 5 €. You can add another 5 GB at 1 € by texting "SI GIGAEXTRA" to 4071160. This add-on package is limited to 360 MB in EU roaming.
- Creami Extra WOW: contains 50 GB (max. 3.27 GB in the EU) and unlimited voice and SMS for 8.99 €.
- Creami NeXt contains unlimited calls and SMS and a data quota according to the lenght of your package:
- Creami NeXt 1: 10 GB for a month (EU max: 3.64 GB), 10 € every month
- Creami NeXt 3: 30 GB per month (EU max. 3.64 GB), 30 € for three months
- Creami NeXt 6: 50 GB per month (EU max. 3.02 GB), 50 € for six months
- Creami Revolution contains 7 GB data a month and 1000 units that can be used for mins or SMS (1 unit = 1 min = 1 SMS = 1 MB) or data:
- Revolution 1: 12 € for a month, (EU cap: 4.37 GB)
- Revolution 3: 30 € for 3 months, (EU cap: 3.64 GB)
- Revolution 6: 48 € for 6 months, (EU cap: 2.91 GB)
All packages auto-renew, if there is enough credit.
SIM for foreigners only Edit
Like TIM and Wind Poste Mobile has one plan which can only be bought by costumers who have activated the SIM showing their foreign ID in a post office. It's called Il Tuo Mondo WOW and has 15 GB data (max. 3.64 GB in the EU) and 1000 minutes and SMS for 10 € per month.
Data-only SIM Edit
For tablets and routers, PosteMobile gives out data-only SIM cards on 4G/LTE too for 15 € with 5 € credit inlcuded. One of the 4 choices need to be activated after purchase or by command valid for a month:
- Mobile 3Giga: 3 GB: 5 €, no EU cap - activation: text 'SI 3GB', to stop 'NO 3GB'a
- Mobile 10Giga: 10 GB: 10 €, EU cap: 3.64 GB - activation and deactivation: online
- Mobile 30Giga: 30 GB: 15 €, EU cap: 5.46 GB
Speed is up to 150 Mbit/s on 4G. All packages auto-renew. To activate or deactivate, text code to 4071160. For overuse, a high fee of 0.50 € per MB is applied, but you will receive a message before.
Alternatively, they sell 2 time-based packages now on 4G/LTE too:
- Internet 30 ore: 30 hours per month, EU cap 3.69 GB: 9.90 € - activation online or text 'SI 30ORE'
- Internet 100 ore: 100 hours per month, EU cap: 6.92 GB: 19 € - activation online or text 'SI 100ORE'
Speed is up to 4G/LTE. Activation is sent to 4071160. All packages auto-renew. To stop text 'NO ??ORE' with ?? your package to the same number. For overuse a high rate of 2.02 € per hour is applied, but you will receive a message before.
EU roaming Edit
PosteMobile has so far applied Roam like home principles for EU roaming at domestic rates. Most data packages are capped according to EU FUP rules indicated at every plan above.
In Nov. 2017 Italian regulator Agcom has given its approval to a request from PosteMobile to opt out of the roam-like-at-home requirement in the EU on grounds of economic viability. The operator will be allowed to apply surcharges for roaming throughout the continent over a period of 12 months, after it successfully argued that it couldn't recover the costs incurred for the provision of roaming services.
So far, it doesn't seem to implement the allowed surcharges and sticks to its FUP.
More info Edit
- APN: internet.postemobile.it
- Website in Italian: https://www.postemobile.it
Fastweb is an Italian MVNO specialising in Triple Play and Broadband Services. It has been bought by Swisscom. In 2016 it moved from the Tre network to TIM and added 4G/LTE to all of its plans in January 2017.
Their SIM card is sold at their sales outlets: Fastweb Store Locator or online sent to an Italian postal address. Price for a starter is 5 € and 15 € for a first top-up. For delivery by mail add 5 €. Their plans need to be linked to a credit card for auto-pay, but can be discontinued anytime.
Data feature packs Edit
They have these prepaid product plans for a month with data and international calls:
- Mobile Base: 2.95 € with 1 GB, 100 mins
- Mobile Voce & Giga: 7.95 € with 30 GB, 1000 mins
- Mobile Freedom: 9.95 € with 30 GB, unlimited mins
Speed is up to 100 Mbps on 4G and will be throttled to 64 kbps beyond data limit, but you can buy another 1 GB at 2 €. Call allowance includes Italy and to these 50 countries (list).
EU roaming Edit
Fastweb has implemented surcharge-free Roam at home in EU countries. All packages are capped at 1 GB without surcharges. As only Italian provider Switzerland is included to the list of free countries.
More info Edit
- APN: apn.fastweb.it
- Website in Italian: http://www.fastweb.it
Lycamobile is an UK-based MVNO which started its operations in Italy in summer of 2014 and is already the 2nd most popular MVNO in the country by customer numbers. It operates on the network of Vodafone in 2G and 3G and new on 4G/LTE (for coverage see above).
Their SIM cards are sold for free in their outlets like Carrefour hypermarkets: Lycamobile store locator. Top-ups must be done right away there, or e.g. at Coop and Pam supermarkets. To find more shops for reloads click "Ricarica" on the store locator link.
Data feature packs Edit
Default data rate is 0.15 € per MB. They offer these monthly packages:
|1 GB||1 GB||5 €||*139*1001#|
|2 GB||2 GB||7 €||*139*1002#|
|4 GB||3 GB||10 €||*139*1003#|
|10 GB||4 GB||12 €||*139*1004#|
This package will auto-renew every month, if there is credit. To stop, call customer service at 40322. You can add extra data, valid for the rest of the running time of the base package:
- 1 GB: 3 €, activation: *139*10011#
- 2 GB: 6 €, activation: *139*10022#
EU roaming Edit
Lycamobile gives out their data-only packages for EU roaming up to a certain FUP cap mentioned above. All EU roaming data beyond the included cap is charged at 0.15 € per MB.
More info Edit
- In many countries Lycamobile actively prevents tethering, including Italy. Tethering is blocked also with data packs, where customer has bought certain amount of data for use.
- Actively blocks VPN. Any bypassing of a tethering block by VPN is not possible.
- APN: data.lycamobile.it
- Username: lmit (that's lowercase L, not capital i)
- Password: plus
- Website in English: http://www.lycamobile.it/en/
Tiscali is an Italian-based international triple player that has introduced a prepaid product some years ago. It operates on the network of TIM on 2G and 3G, No 4G/LTE for prepaid so far which is a huge drawback, but has been announced for the first half of 2019 on TIM's network.
Their prepaid SIM is only available in their own stores and outlets (locator). A new SIM card is for 10 €. The activation fee of a new plan of 10 € and is waived for new customers, but a minimum 10 € top-up is required.
Top-ups can be made there or online using credit cards or PayPal from 5-100 €. Check credit by calling 4130.
Data feature packages Edit
Default rate is a high 0.30 € per MB. Speed is up to 42.2 Mbps on 3G network. They offer these three plans:
|Start||2 GB||60 min||2.50 €|
|Mobile 30GB||30 GB||1000 min||6.99 €|
|Mobile 50GB||50 GB||2000 min||9.99 €|
These packages must be activated on your personal account. Packages auto-renew after one month, if not stopped. Overuse is charged at the high default rate.
Tourist SIM cards Edit
For visiting tourists Tiscali has special offers valid for 7 days:
- Smart Tourist EU: 2 GB, 100 dom. mins, 100 mins to the EU - 16 €
- Smart Tourist USA: 2 GB, 100 dom. mins, 100 mins to the US - 20 €
- Smart Tourist Mondo: 2 GB, 100 dom. mins, 50 mins to most countries - 30 €
All SIM cards can be extended in value or time by adding a new pack for the same price.
EU roaming (FUP applies) Edit
In summer 2018 Italian regulator Agcom has authorised Tiscali to opt out of the roam-like-at-home requirement in the EU over a period of 12 months on grounds that it won’t be able to cover the corresponding roaming costs. As of 2019, Tiscali no longer opts out, and implements a FUP instead, based on a formula of 2 * (price of plan without VAT / 4.5)= GB available without surcharges.
More info Edit
- APN: tiscalimobileinternet
- Website in Italian: http://casa.tiscali.it/mobile
Kena Mobile Edit
In 2017 TIM's new MVNO started on the TIM network in 2G and 3G and is now on 4G/LTE too. It's a sub-brand of TIM enabled by Noverca and a no-frills provider to fight the arrival of Iliad.
Kena Mobile has activated 4G/LTE for all its clients in 2018, although customers on older plans will have to switch to a new offer. 4G/LTE downloads speeds are limited to 30 Mbps and upload to 5.76Mbps.
Top-ups can be made online (foreign cards don't work, but PayPal should), in their few stores or by buying a voucher in all Lottomatica or Sisal betting agencies. Check credit online or by calling 40181.
Data feature packages Edit
For new clients without porting from other providers they offer one only plan:
- 50 GB (EU cap: 5 GB) and unlimited minutes and SMS for 12.99 € as only plan.
Activation charge is 9 €. For more data you can add 1 GB for 3.99 € valid for 30 days or the expensive default rate is charged. You can manage your plan and add-ons by app or on your personal account. Once this bundle is deactivated, it can not be activated again: only bundles with less data or minutes are available then.
EU roaming Edit
Allowances can be used roaming in the EU/EEA at the domestic Italian rate without surchages up to the limit indicated in the table.
More info Edit
- APN: web.kenamobile.it
- Website in Italian: http://www.kenamobile.it
ho. mobile Edit
Ho. (Italian for "I have got") is Vodafone's new budget brand through Vel Srl. introduced in 2018 to counter Iliad and other budget brands like Kena. It uses the network of Vodafone in Italy on 2G/3G and 4G/LTE, with a speed limit of 30 MBit/s.
Their SIM card can be ordered online to an Italian postal address and activated through a video chat and through their app. For foreigners it might be better to order it to or buy it in one of their 3000 sales points in the country (locator). The starter and activation fee is sold for 9.99 € plus a top-up of 8 € for the first month.
Top-ups are online from 5 € to 50 €. Ho promises to accept all credit cards, even American Express and PayPal. Otherwise, you can buy vouchers in tabaccerias, Lotto and Sisal stores. Balance check is 42121 for free.
They only offer one plan in 4G/LTE capped at 30 Mbit/s:
- 50 GB and unlimited minutes and SMS for 12.99 € per month
EU roaming is capped at a meager 4.4 GB without surcharges. This plan auto-renews after one month. If you have used up all allowances, you can only restart the whole package ahead of time.
More info Edit
- APN: web.ho-mobile.it
- Website in Italian: https://www.ho-mobile.it/
Digi Mobil Edit
Digi Mobil is a Romanian MVNO by RCS & RDS operating in Spain and Italy too. It used to run on the network of Tre, but changed to TIM network in 2016 on 2G and 3G and from July 2019 in 4G/LTE up to 100 Mbit/s too. Note that Digi surcharges EU data roaming.
Digi Mobil sells their SIM card called Dual Nation in their stores (locator) with an Italian (+39 353...) and a Romanian (+40 772...) number combined for 10€ that is included as credit too.
You can top-up at Lottomatica Italia and Sisal or online using credit cards. Check balance by *146#. You need to top-up at least every 12 months to keep the SIM card alive.
Data feature packages Edit
They sell combo packages with calls to 50 countries included combined with a data bundle or data-only packages valid only in Italy for 30 days:
- Combo packages:
- Combo 5: 5 € - 2 GB, 250 mins to Italy and 57 countries
- Combo 10: 10 € - 8 GB, 500 mins to Italy and 57 countries, 1500 on-net mins
- Combo 15: 15 € - 16 GB, 1000 mins to Italy and 57 countries, 2000 on-net mins
- Combo 20: 20 € - 32 GB, 2000 mins to Italy and 57 countries, 3000 on-net mins
- Data-only packages:
- Naviga 5: 5 GB: 5 €
- Naviga 10: 10 GB: 10 €
- Add-on packages (valid for the rest of the running time of the base pack):
- Naviga Extra 500 MB: 1 €
- Naviga Extra 1 GB: 2 €
- Naviga Extra 3 GB: 5 €
Activation and deactivation is by code *146#, check data balance by *147#. Monthly packages (not the add-ons) auto-renew after 30 days. Unused data on the combo plans (not the data-only or add-on plans) roll over to the next month.
EU roaming Edit
Digi Mobil now offers EU roaming data, but at a surcharged rate of 0.035 € per MB. The Naviga Europa option is also available at a cost of 3 € for 1 GB of EU roaming valid for one month, activated by dialing * 146 #. This option can be reactivated if data is exhausted before the 30 days are up.
More info Edit
- APN: digi.mobile
- Website in Italian and Romanian: https://www.digimobil.it/it/
Noitel used to be another MVNO on TIM's network in 2G and 4G. In 2019 they migrated from TIM to Vodafone network with a new logo to finally offer 4G/LTE access.
Their SIM card is available in some outlets (store locator) for 10 € with the same credit pre-loaded or can be ordered online to be sent to any Italian address for free. Activation fee for any of the plans below is 5 €.
Top-ups can be made in 70,000 Lottomatica or Sisal agencies in Italy or online by credit card. Check credit by *123#.
Data feature packages Edit
Default data is at 0.10 per MB. They offer these new combo plans for a month on 2G, 3G and now on 4G/LTE too in up to 60 Mbit/s:
|Step||2 GB||300 mins||10||2.99 €|
|Next Step||5 GB||500 mins||50||4.99 €|
|Xplore||20 GB||unlimited||10||9.99 €|
|Xplore All||30 GB||unlimited||10||11.99 €|
EU roaming Edit
You can use the default rate and all data packages mentioned above in the EU/EEA. You may need to enable roaming by texing 'WORLDDATAON' to 404060.
More info Edit
- APN: web.noitel.it
- Website in Italien: https://m.noitelmobile.it/