- 1 Basics
- 2 Digi
- 3 Maxis (Hotlink)
- 4 Celcom (XPAX)
- 5 U Mobile
- 6 Yes (4G LTE only)
- 7 unifi Mobile (previously called TMgo and Webe)
- 8 Altel
- 9 Tune Talk
- 10 XOX Mobile / ONEXOX
- 11 SpeakOut
- 12 redONE
- 13 Yoodo
- 14 Defunct telecommunications
Malaysia has 7 mobile network operators that currently operated in the country which been classified as below:
a. 4 GSM based national network operators:
- Digi (prepaid brand: Digi Prepaid)
- Maxis (prepaid brand: Hotlink)
- Celcom (prepaid brand: Celcom Xpax)
- U Mobile (prepaid brand: Unlimited Funz Prepaid)
b. 3 further providers only operate an own 4G/LTE network:
- Yes (by YTL Communications)
- unifi (by Telekom Malaysia, on own 4G/LTE and 2G/3G roaming on Celcom)
- Altel (by Altel Communications, on own 4G/LTE and 2G/3G roaming on Celcom)
Other operators are MVNOs which are Tune Talk, OneXOX/XOX Mobile, SpeakOut and redONE. There are some WiMAX-based network operators like AsiaSpace which are not compatible with GSM services.
Coverage varies from very good in the populated areas of the peninsula to very patchy even on 2G in Borneo and other remote islands:
|Operator||Market||Coverage of Population|
|Digi||26 %||93 %||92 %|
|Maxis||22 %||93 %||93 %|
|Celcom||22 %||96 %||94 %|
|U Mobile||15 %||?||<90 %|
Coverage data supplied by the operators in 2020Q3 financial report, market data by MCMC in 2018.
U Mobile has the smallest own network, but roams on Maxis on 2G and 3G in certain areas, while building up its own 3G and 4G/LTE sites. This roaming has been phased over a period of 18 months with completion on 27 December 2018.
Yes has a >90% 4G/LTE coverage in Peninsula Malaysia only, while Webe 4G/LTE in some cities only and Altel matches Celcom's coverage because of a roaming agreement.
According to OpenSignal in 2019, Maxis had the highest speeds on its 3G and 4G/LTE networks with speed of 24/3 Mbit/s while Celcom had the highest 4G availability across the country.
On the 4 national operators, 2G is on 900 and 1800 MHz (except on U Mobile which is 3G and 4G only) up to EDGE, 3G is on 900 and 2100 MHz up to HSPA+, and 4G/LTE on 1800 (B3) and 2600 MHz (B7) is now being rolled out nationwide. From 2017 900 MHz (B8) has been partly refarmed for LTE too and used by Digi. 800 MHz (B20) is going to be employed by all providers too. Yes operates FD-LTE and TD-LTE on 800 MHz (B20), 2300 (B40) and 2600 MHz (B38) and Webe FD-LTE on 850 MHz (B5).
Since 2006 all SIM cards must be registered. This is done at the point of purchase and the process is quick and straight forward. All networks allow tethering and VoIP calls.
In 2016, the national regulator (Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission, MCMC) conducted an audit on dealers and agents of communication companies offering mobile cellular services in all of the country to check on the accuracy and validity of the records of subscribers taken by dealers and agents at the point of registration.
There are good options especially if travelling in South East Asia countries, and Digi even has a competitively priced offer for roaming on inflight cellular data.
APN configurations of most Malaysian operators are now "dynamic". This means that the settings must not be left blank, but can be filled with any letter or number.
All top-ups have only very limited validity as usual in this region. A RM 30 reload normally buys you 30 days of validity with one of the major providers (a notable exception is XOX/OneXOX). This makes it quite hard to keep a SIM card alive while leaving the country for a while.
Like in Thailand the 4 major Malaysian network operators offer heavily discounted IDD calls. Many countries can be called even cheaper than through VoIP. Each operator has an own IDD prefix to be used. This is mentioned in the "more info" section. It needs to be entered like this: <IDD prefix> <00> <country code> <area code> <local number>.
Digi, formerly spelled as 'DiGi', is the largest network in Malaysia by consumer base today, as it overtook Maxis in 2016. It's half owned by Norwegian Telenor group. 4G/LTE has started in Kuala Lumpur in 2013 and is on par with its two rivals (see table above): coverage map.
Starter packs can be bought at their outlets: store locator. Top-up vouchers ranging from RM 5 to 100 extend the SIM life for 5 to 120 days depending on amount. They are available at a lot of stores. SIM card comes in tri-size cut. These starter packs are available:
- Digi Prepaid LiVE: RM 8 with RM 5 credit included, valid for 5 days, 2.5 GB for video and music streaming weekly and 300 MB for 7 days.
- Digi Prepaid NEXT: RM 15 with 3 GB high-speed data and unlimited social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Digi Prepaid Broadband: RM 38 for 10 GB data and 10 GB video and music streaming or RM 68 for 20 GB data and 24 GB video and music streaming, for data-only devices (no voice or outbound SMS).
Check balance by *126#, and data usage in bundles by *200# and choose 1 (Check Quota).
Note that for Prepaid NEXT, any additional purchases of data packs requires the MyDigi app. If you can not download the app, it is recommended to go with Prepaid LiVE instead.
For Prepaid NEXT, validity can be extended by top-up as well as by usage; any of the packets listed below will extend the "active" period to the last day of validity of the packet. Beyond this, a 60-day grace period applies (90 days for Prepaid Broadband), during which only incoming calls and SMS will work. If no further top-up is received (for all prepaid plans) or plan is purchased (for Prepaid NEXT), the line will be terminated.
Data feature packs
Default rate outside all packs is RM 0.05 per MB with a max of RM 3 per day, then it will be cut off. So buy one of their internet plans:
- short-time passes called Cili Padi - activation by *116*3#:
- 1 GB for 1 hour: RM 1
- 10 GB for 6 night hours (1am-7am): RM 2
- 10 GB for 6 morning hours (7am-1pm): RM 2
- unlimited data for 24 hours: RM 8
- for users in AM hours Super Tererrrr Plans - activation by *116*2#:
|1.5 GB||7 days||unlimited
|5 GB||30 days||RM 38|
|8 GB||30 days||RM 58|
Hotspot use and torrent use is prohibited in the bonus hours.
- for users in PM hours biGBonus Plans - activation: *116*1#:
|2 GB||7 days||RM 10||1 GB per day|
|4 GB||30 days||RM 28||1 GB per day|
|6GB||30 days||RM 35||3 GB per day|
|9 GB||30 days||RM 50||3 GB per day|
|14 GB||30 days||RM 70||3 GB per day|
Prepaid NEXT users have a different set of packets available, the following for 30 days:
- Cili Padi RM 15: 3 GB data and unlimited Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Cili Padi RM 28: 6 GB data and unlimited Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube
- Cili Padi RM 35: 9 GB data and unlimited Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube
- biGBonus RM 28: 4 GB data, 1 GB bonus daily, unlimited domestic voice
- biGBonus RM 50: 9 GB data, 3 GB bonus daily, unlimited domestic voice
- biGBonus RM 70: 14 GB data, 3 GB bonus daily, unlimited domestic voice
Usage beyond the high-speed allowance is throttled to 64kbps up to 1 GB. More high-speed data can be purchased, which will last until the end of your packet:
- RM 3 for 1.5 GB
- RM 5 for 3 GB
- RM 8 for 6 GB
- RM 10 for 10 GB (only on plans priced RM 35 and above)
And the below short-term packets:
- RM 1 for unlimited high-speed data for 1 hour
- RM 1 for 300 MB high-speed data for 1 day
- RM 1 for unlimited Youtube (Video-Lite pass) or Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (Social-Lite pass) for 1 day
- RM 2 for 5 GB data between 1AM-7AM (Midnight Pass) or 7AM-1PM (Morning Pass)
- RM 3 for 2 GB high-speed data and 1 GB biGBonus for 1 day
- RM 4 for 2 GB high-speed data and 1 GB biGBonus and unlimited domestic voice for 1 day
- RM 8 for unlimited high-speed data for 1 day
- RM 12 for 2 GB high-speed data and 2 GB biGBonus for 7 days
Subscriptions will auto-renew if there is credit except on Prepaid NEXT, where all passes beyond the initial allowance must be manually purchased on the MyDigi app. To unsubscribe, type *116*6# and follow the steps before your next renewal. biGBonus is an ongoing promotion giving extra data every day to be used between 1pm-7pm.
- for social media users Kaki Social plans, activation *116*1#:
- 5 GB for 30 days: RM 30
- 10 GB for 30 days: RM 48
All consumption on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are not taken from the general balance.
To add up more volume, dial *200# on your phone. 6% taxes apply.
Digi offers five kinds of roaming packages for prepaid (except Prepaid Broadband), four on the ground:
- Roam5/Roam10: RM 5 or RM 10 depending on country for unlimited messaging app usage (on Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp) and 50 MB other usage per 24 hours.
- Roam 1 day: RM 15 for 500 MB internet + 10 mins valid for 24 hours in over 50 countries around the world
- Roam 3 days: RM 25 for 2 GB internet + 30 mins valid for 72 hours in 51 countries around the world
- Roam 5 days: RM 5 for 500 MB internet in Singapore, Indonesia, and Thailand
- RoamTelenor: RM 25 for 4 GB internet + 60 mins valid for 72 hours on any Telenor network in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Pakistan and Myanmar, as well as Grameenphone in Bangladesh and dtac in Thailand.
- 7 Day Pass (Europe): RM 50 for 2 GB internet valid for 168 hours in Austria, Croatia, Czechia, Greece, Poland, Romania, and Slovakia
A list of participating countries for each pass is available here. Note that passes except for the Europe pass are only valid per country, so if you go to another country, your pass allowances will not follow. In addition, pass usage allowances (but not time remaining) will "stack"- if you purchase a second pass of the same type and for the same country as your first pass before it expires, your allowances will accumulate and the total allowance will expire with the validity period of the second pass.
Example: You are in Denmark, and purchase a second RoamTelenor pass when your current pass with 1.5 GB internet and 24 voice minutes will expire in 18 hours. You now have 5.5 GB internet and 84 voice minutes good in Denmark for another 72 hours. However, if you go to Sweden before your pass expires, your allowances will be "left behind" in Denmark, and you will have to purchase a new pass for Sweden.
And one for inflight use on aircraft with AeroMobile (check if your airline is on the following list):
- AeroMobile roaming pass: RM 20 for 500 MB for 12 hours
All passes are activated by dialing *800# on arrival. Make sure to turn off data roaming until you have activated the pass, and select the correct network according to the list of participating countries to avoid being charged high standard rates. Especially be careful in Eastern Europe, as Telenor has sold its operations there to PPF Group and signed new roaming agreements with different operators, so the preferred network is not Telenor and RoamTelenor does not apply. If you have the MyDigi app, you can pre-book your roaming pass up to 7 days in advance of your arrival. Passes booked in this way will activate between midnight and 2 AM Malaysian time on the day you choose.
Finally Digi has issued their own SIM for tourists called '4G Plus Internet Traveller SIM'. It's sold only in their stores at the airports of KLIA, KLIA2, Senai, Langkawi, Penang, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu to foreigners with passport. These two SIM cards are sold
- RM 20 (tax incl.): with 10 mins of local calls, 10 mins IDD calls, 2 GB internet and 1 GB per day for WhatsApp, Facebook & WeChat, all valid for 7 days.
- RM 40 (tax incl.): with 30 mins of local calls, 30 mins IDD calls, 10 GB internet and 1 GB per day for WhatsApp, Facebook & WeChat, all valid for 15 days.
These IDD calls are special prefix calls to 6 Asian countries only. To expand use you can add any regular prepaid package.
Digi has also released broadband plans intended for modems and tablets. They come in two varieties:
- Broadband Prepaid 30: starter pack is for RM 38 and contains 8 GB for 30 days. This plan can be reloaded for 30 RM with another 8 GB.
- Broadband Prepaid 60: starter pack is for RM 68 and contains 16 GB for 30 days. This plan can be reloaded for 60 RM with another 16 GB.
- Digi IDD discount prefix: 133
- APN: diginet
- Digi gives the lowest IDD rates to most countries now like RM 0.08-0.16 per min to landlines in Australia and many European countries by using IDD 133: dial 133 00 <country code > <area code> <local number> and check rates here.
- Website: https://www.digi.com.my/
Maxis markets all its prepaid and mobile data services under the brand of Hotlink. According to speed test it currently boasts the best speeds in the country: Coverage map
Standard prepaid SIMs in tri-size cut can be purchased at Maxis retailers nationwide (outlet listing) including airports, major shopping centres and convenience stores such as 7-Eleven. You can buy the new starter packs called Hotlink RED for RM 10 with RM 5 credit valid for 5 days and 300 MB data valid for 3 days.
The Hotlink RED App is available for both Android and iOS users, allowing to check and refill balance and to activate data packs. They give a bonus of 1 GB data, when you download their RED app.
Top-up credits preferably with top-up vouchers for more balance as well as extending their prepaid's validity. Top-ups can be done online using credit cards, at Maxis retailers, top-up kiosks, convenience stores, supermarkets, newsagents, and many other resellers.
Credit validity ranges from 5 days for a RM 5 top-up to 100 days for a RM 100 refill. You will have a 50 days grace period on the RED plan without balance before your number will be scrapped.
To check credit balance without app, type *122# or through *100#, and data balance by *100# -> 6 (Internet & Settings) -> 1 (Mobile Internet).
Data feature packs
On Hotlink RED 10 GB Facebook data per month are added for free. By their RED app you can also choose to activate either a Chat or Social pack with unlimited data through certain apps as long as you have activated a data pack before:
- Chat pack includes: WhatsApp, WeChat, Line, QQ, IMO
- Social pack includes: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Snapchat
For data, you need to add packages. 6% taxes must be added for the final price.
|24 hours||2 GB||RM 3||no|
|7 days||1.5 GB||RM 10||yes|
|30 days||6 GB||RM 35||yes|
|8 GB||RM 45||yes|
|8 GB||RM 60||yes||unlimited domestic calls|
|10 GB||RM 70||yes||unlimited domestic calls|
For activation type *100# and select 'Internet Passes' or do it through their app. Data is throttled when quota has been used up. A tax of 6% needs to be added.
For more data, these boosters are offered, valid for the running time of the base package, activated by app:
- 150 MB: RM 3
- 500 MB: RM 8
- 1 GB: RM 12
Alternatively, you can switch to a different plan when your quota has been exhausted.
Asia roaming offers
- daily pass: in 8 countries you can roam for RM 10 per day with 1 GB data, throttled beyond. This pass is valid in Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Myanmar, Laos, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. No activation or opt-in necessary.
- monthly pass: in Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia 1 GB data for 30 days at RM 38. To activate from Malaysia type *100*7*?*3# where ? is 1 for Singapore, 2 for Thailand and 3 for Indonesia. This pass can be activated multiple times from abroad by *100*3#.
- Hotlink IDD discount prefix: 132
- APN: unet Username: maxis Password: wap
- Website: http://www.hotlink.com.my
Celcom is run by Axiata. Its coverage is widest in the country: Coverage map.
Their major prepaid brand is called Celcom XPAX (formerly known as Xpax).
Celcom kiosks located in most major shopping centres and airports. Top-ups can be made almost everywhere: store locator. Mini SIMs are standard, micro and nano SIMs may be available on request or cut down.
All local prepaid SIMs of Celcom are sold through their Celcom XPAX label. To check credit balance, type *124#. Alternatively, Android and iOS users can download an app namely Celcom Life through Google Play, Huawei AppGallery and App Store respectively to check balance and reload for credit, data packages or internet passes, as well as the add-ons.
The Celcom XPAX starter pack costs RM 10 with RM 6 pre-loaded, sold in their outlets (see above). It also comes with free 10 GB for Facebook, Instagram, and Games Walla along together with "basic internet" provided as long your line is active. 'Basic internet' stays throttled to 64 kbps and a max. of 1 GB per month. Self-registration and activation for prepaid starter pack can be made through the app as well.
Data feature packages
You can add one of these packages for high-speed data:
|1 day||2 GB||RM 3||*118*2*1#|
|4 GB||RM 5||*118*2*2#|
|7 days||500 MB||RM 6||*118*2*3#|
|2 GB||RM 10||*118*2*4#|
|5 GB||RM 19||*118*2*5#|
|30 days||5 GB||RM 30||*118*2*6#|
|10 GB||RM 50||*118*2*7#|
|15 GB||RM 79||*118*2*8#|
In addition, there are now unlimited passes:
|1 hour||RM 1||unlimited||no||*118*2*1*1#|
|3 hours||RM 2||*118*2*1*2#|
|12 hours||RM 5||*118*2*1*3#|
|24 hours||RM 8||*118*2*1*4#|
|7 days||RM 12||3 Mbps||1 GB||*118*2*2*9#|
|30 days||RM 35||3 GB||*118*2*2*10#|
7 day and 30 day passes come with unlimited domestic voice, and more hotspot data can be purchased at a price of RM 1 for 1 GB for 24 hours or RM 3 for 5 GB for 72 hours.
There are also three late-night passes valid from 1 AM to 7 AM daily, which can be activated by dialing *118#:
- RM 2: 3 GB for 1 night
- RM 7: 10 GB for 7 nights
- RM 20: 15 GB for 30 nights
Check data balance by *118*1*1*2#. All packages, but the daily packs, auto-renew. To stop, dial *118*2*5*1# before expiry. If your pack renews (or you buy another daily pack), unused data rolls over to the new period. Unlimited access to YouTube from 1 AM to 7 AM is included with all passes.
These add-ons are sold for their packages:
- 100 MB: 3 RM - activation: *118*3*2*1#
- 500 MB: 10 RM - activation: *118*3*2*2#
- 1 GB: 15 RM - activation: *118*3*2*3#
- 5 GB: 50 RM - activation: *118*3*2*4#
Asia roaming option
- 1 day Internet Pass: in Brunei, Nepal, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, and Singapore gives you 1 GB per day (until midnight Malaysian time) for RM 7.99. No activation required, roaming usage above 1 MB in the above countries will automatically activate the pass.
- 1 day Basic Internet Pass: In the same countries above, 30 MB per day at throttled speeds of 64 kbps for RM 1. If you wish to use this pass instead, you must make sure data roaming is off, then activate this pass before starting to use data, or else you will be charged for the Internet Pass instead.
- 1 day Social Roam Pass: In over 30 countries (check your destination here before you go), 1 GB of Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, and Wechat usage and 50 MB other usage for RM 10 daily. In countries where the 1 day Internet Pass is not available, this pass will automatically activate upon usage of more than 300 KB of data.
- 3 day 3-in-1 Pass: In over 40 countries (check destination at the same link as above), 100 voice minutes, 100 SMS, and 1.5 GB data for 3 days for RM 88.
Basic Internet and 3-in-1 passes need to be activated manually by *118# on arrival and selecting "Roaming & IDD", then the name of the pass you wish to purchase. If you wish to purchase these passes, make sure to turn off data roaming before receiving confirmation of an activated pass. The Basic Internet pass is capped at 30 MB. You will need to re-subscribe for another 30 MB. In addition, it must be manually re-purchased each day at midnight Malaysia time, or else the 1 day Internet Pass will activate instead.
U Mobile is the 4th and smallest network in Malaysia having only a 3G/4G platform. In 2014 they switched from Celcom to Maxis for free national roaming on 2G and later 3G too. In 2014 they started their own 4G/LTE in Kuala Lumpur which is available for prepaid. A domestic roaming agreement on Maxis' network was extended for 3G until the end of 2019, while U Mobile is building up its own coverage on 900 and 1800 MHz in 3G and 4G/LTE.
They give out data much cheaper than their 3 bigger rivals, but the internet speed is weak at sometimes: Coverage Map
Their new starter pack is called 'UNLIMITED Funz Prepaid' and is available for RM 10 with RM 6 preloaded credit with unlimited Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, PUBG Mobile, WhatsApp, WeChat, Facebook Messenger, imo and Viber. Purchase can be made at Mynews.com stores and in many 7-Eleven shops. The starter package includes 200 MB data for high-speed mobile internet access. The validity period of the starter pack is 10 days.
Recharges can be found at 7-Eleven, Cosway and Giant supermarkets (store locator). Check balance by *118#, for data balance the same command, then choose 'U Broadband' and 'Check Usage'.
Data feature packs
For a one-time top up of at least RM 10, you get unlimited access to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and also 1 GB basic Internet (@ 64 kbps) . You can add these bundles for more data: UMI Data Plan
|100 MB||1 day||RM 2|
|1.5 GB||RM 5||free:
|1 GB||7 days||RM 9|
|500 MB||15 days||RM 15|
|1.5 GB||30 days||RM 20||20 mins||free:
500 MB - 10 GB Video, Music, Waze,
Social Media (FB, Instagram, Twitter),
|2.5 GB||RM 26|
|7.5 GB||RM 30||30 mins|
|7.5 GB||RM 36|
|2 GB||RM 38||150 mins|
|12 GB||RM 50||50 mins|
In 2019 the Giler Unlimited data plans were introduced with "unlimited" data. Data is really "unlimited", but speed is throttled to a max of 3 Mbps. You are only allowed to use the plan in a smartphone. In 2020, the Giler Unlimited plans is revamped with added a new plan called GX38. Slightly different with GX30, the plan features with unlimited data that throttles up to 6 Mbps and unlimited calls to all networks domestically. The GX38 is originally priced at RM 38/month, but for limited time, the plan being offered at RM 35/month. The GX30 as well has been upgraded its speed from 3 Mbps to 6 Mbps. For other devices they give out a limited Hotspot quota on each plan:
|Price||Plan Name||Data||Hotspot||Dom. Calls||Validity|
(throttled to 3 Mbps)
|1 GB||Unlimited||7 days|
(throttled to 6 Mbps)
|6 GB||not included||30 days|
To subscribe use their app or dial *118# and select package. All unused call minutes roll over to the next month, if you buy a new package. Some plans contain extras like music or video streaming, Waze and social media usage not debited from your allowance. For termination dial *118*1*5#.
To add more data before the month is over, they sell boosters. For 10 RM you get 1 GB extra valid for 3 days. To add a booster text 'ON BOOST' to 28118 or type *118#.
Their data-only packages for tablets and modems are called Super Broadband Prepaid. They have these packages to add, now all on 4G/LTE too:
|100 MB||1 day||RM 2|
|1.5 GB||1 day||RM 5|
|1 GB||7 days||RM 9|
|500 MB||15 days||RM 15|
|2 GB + 1 GB YouTube||30 days||RM 40|
|5 GB + 3 GB YouTube||30 days||RM 68|
To purchase a pack: dial *118# > select U Broadband > select Purchase U Broadband > select your Broadband Package. Night traffic is valid 2am-8am. Add 6% taxes. All YouTube and some music streams are zero-rated.
Data will be cut off, when used up, but you can buy a booster add-on of 1 GB valid for 3 days for RM 10. To purchase a booster: Dial *118# > select U Broadband > select Purchase Booster.
Check your data usage by sending DATA2 to 28118 via SMS.
- in 12 countries you get "unlimited" data roaming for RM 10 per day based on Malaysian Time: Australia (Optus), Bangladesh (Banglalink), Cambodia (Cellcard), Hong Kong (HKT), India (Aircel and Reliance), Indonesia (Indosat Ooredoo), Laos (Beeline), Philippines (Smart), Singapore (Starhub), S. Korea (SK Telecom), Taiwan (Taiwan Mobile) and Thailand (TrueMove). 4G is available in all countries except Laos and Bangladesh. You don't need to activate or log-in, just connect to their preferred roaming partners in each country and RM 10 will be debited.
- in more than 30 further countries, you can roam "unlimited" at RM 36 per day, see this list.
Note that "unlimited" implies a FUP of 500 MB per day in high speed, before speed will be throttled.
Only at KLIA2, the budget terminal of Kuala Lumpur airport, they sell their tourist SIM called 'Traveller SIM'. Their shop is located at Level 2 - 145 (location). This SIM is only given to foreign passengers with a passport, not to Malaysians. It's free, but you need to top-up a minimum of RM 30. You can activate any of the usual prepaid plans for voice SIM cards.
- IDD discount prefix: 1310
- APN: my3g
- Website: http://www.u.com.my
Yes (4G LTE only)
Yes by YTL Corporation started in 2010 and now covers more than 85% of population by 4G/LTE only on the West Malaysian Peninsula, but are rolling out networks in major cities in Sabah and Sarawak. It used to be a WiMAX operator for which you needed to buy own hardware to be activated on their network. That's why it hasn't been mentioned on this list before.
- This changed in 2016 when Yes started to release regular 4G/LTE SIM cards for your own device to be used on their network. They claim to be the 'fastest and widest' network on the peninsula, even ahead of the three majors: coverage map. Typical data speeds of Yes are close to 40 Mbps.
- On Oct 1, 2019, the company announced that they shutted down their 4G WiMAX network.
Yes currently running on FD-LTE and TD-LTE on 800 MHz (Band 20), 2300 MHz (Band 38) and 2600 MHz (Band 40). However, the services can be enjoyed with only devices that supported which can be checked from their website. So better check your device, if you intend to use it on Yes.
Their prepaid 4G LTE SIM card is sold in all of their stores in West Malaysia and Sabah (at the moment) (locator) for RM 15 (tax included). It comes with 10 GB of data valid for 30 days as well as unlimited calls and texts to on-net. However, calls and texts to off-net are being charged at flat rate of 9sen per min and SMS. You may need to activate your new SIM online or download MyYes app from Google Play or App Store for Android and iOS users respectively to self-register and activate the prepaid.
For topping up you can go to one of their stores or retail partners, use your credit card online or use any e-pay kiosk at petrol stations and convenience stores nationwide.
Data feature packages
These bundles for 4G LTE data are offered:
|1 day||RM 1|
|2 GB||2 days||RM 2|
|3 GB||3 days||RM 3|
|5 GB||5 days||RM 5|
|10 GB||7 days||RM 10|
|15 GB||30 days||RM 15|
|20 GB||30 days||RM 20|
(throttled/capped at 7Mbps)
|9 GB||30 days||RM 30|
All packages can be booked through your online account and MyYes app. They'll auto-renew, if you have enough credit.
- APN: yesnet
- International roaming currently not supported for prepaid, instead international direct dial rates can be checked here.
- Website in English: http://www.yes.my
unifi Mobile (previously called TMgo and Webe)
In 2016, Telekom Malaysia and P1 now called Webe officially launched after its predecessor, TMgo, based on 4G/LTE-only running at 850 MHz (band 5) as well as TD-LTE bands 38 and 40 that are able to deliver download speeds up to 20 Mbps. This was closed later and relaunched as 'unifi Mobile' with 3G roaming included.
Their own 4G is in a limited area only: Kedah, Kelantan, Melaka, Negeri Sembilan, Pahang, Perak, Sabah, Sarawak, Selangor: Before purchase check: coverage map. For 2G and 3G it uses free national roaming on Celcom network.
To get a SIM card you first need to download their "mobile@unifi" app in the Google Play or App Store. You can either pick the SIM up at a local TM Point, or have it delivered for a fee of RM10.60 (including 6% SST). At the time of writing (26 Feb 2020), the cost per SIM is RM10. It comes with 3GB LTE data on unifi's own network. Domestic calls are charged at RM0.20/min and local SMS charged at RM0.10. When ordering, it is best you select a purpose other than travel, otherwise your card will be deactivated after 90 days.
You can reload your Unifi Mobile account in denominations of RM10, RM30, RM50 and RM100 via credit/debit card or online banking. If you have Shopee coins to use up, you can also purchase reload PINs from Shopee. All SIM management is done through their app.
Data feature packages
Unifi distinguishes unlimited packages on its own limited network and other packs with Celcom roaming:
- on own 4G/LTE network only:
- unlimited data for 2 hours: RM 1
- unlimited data for 24 hours: RM 3
- unlimited data for 7 days: RM 20 (currently being offered at RM 12 per week)
- unlimited data for 30 days: RM 55 (currently being offered at RM 35 per month)
- on own and 2G/3G roaming network nationwide:
- 1 GB 2G/3G/4G networks: RM 13
- 1 GB 4G network + 1 GB 2G/3G roaming network: RM 15
- 2 GB 4G network + 2 GB 2G/3G roaming network: RM 30
- 4 GB 4G network + 4 GB 2G/3G roaming network: RM 50
Here is the novelty: There is no exipry of the data packages as long as the line is active. You can use all data until it's fully used up. You only need to make a debitable charge (use data, send SMS or make a phone call) or reload within 90 days to keep it alive.
Telekom Malaysia has issued a tourist SIM called Unifi Travel Pass in January 2020. It's available at all international airports, namely at Malaysia’s Tourism Information Counters and Malaysia Healthcare concierge and lounge at selected major airports, as well as at the Kuala Lumpur Tower (KL Tower). The plan can also be purchased through unifi’s strategic online partners, Klook or Fave, besides on unifi’s website.
The Unifi Travel Pass comes with two validity period options:
- unlimited data for 7 days: RM 30
- unlmited data for 15 days: RM 60
The SIM also comes pre-loaded with RM 5 worth of airtime for them to make outgoing calls at 20 sen per minute or send text messages at 10 sen per short message service.
Before purchase better check, if your device can carry Unifi's unusual LTE bands and whether you are within their coverage area. Otherwise, you will be restricted to Celcom in 2G and 3G.
- APN: unifi
- Website: https://unifi.com.my/personal/mobile
Altel run by Altel Communications Sdn Bhd. has started to roll out own 4G/LTE broadband services in 2013. They've acquired LTE spectrum on 2600 MHz and have built so far 2100 base stations. Where it doesn't have own coverage, they rely on 2G, 3G and 4G/LTE roaming on Celcom where it's operating like a MVNO via their partnership with Celcom.
Their prepaid SIM cards are available in their stores (locator) for RM 7 (tax incl.) with RM 5 credit for 30 days and 200 MB data valid for 15 days. You can extend validity to one year for RM 28 by typing 'EXTEND' to 25835.
To top-up buy vouchers RM 5-50 at any Altel dealer, 7-Eleven stores, AEON Big, Giant, Tesco supermarkets or major petrol stations in the country. They give 5-30 days of validity. To reload enter *122*<voucher PIN>#.
If you reload a minimum of RM 30 within the first 5 days after activation, you’ll enjoy a 10% bonus credit with no expiry. You get a further 500 MB valid for 15 days for any top-ups of RM 50+. Check balance by *102#.
Data feature packages
These packages are offered (add 6% taxes) and include 4G/LTE:
|1 day||500 MB||RM 2|
|1 GB||RM 3|
|7 days||1 GB||RM 5|
|2 GB||RM 10|
|30 days||5 GB||RM 30|
|10 GB||RM 50|
|20 GB||RM 90|
To activate type *102#, select Broadband and choose plan. To check balance text 'MB BAL' to 25836.
Altel offers daily data roaming packages for RM 38 per day with 500 MB data in neighbouring and popular countries and less data in more remote destinations. A full overview of roaming networks per country and data offered can be found here. To activate the roaming pass dial *102#
Tune Talk is one of the first MVNOs in Malaysia. It started in 2009 and operates on the network of Celcom in 2G, 3G and 4G/LTE. Coverage Map. It's connected to the budget airline AirAsia.
Their SIM is available at their outlets Dealer Location like in the low cost terminal at KLIA2 for RM 5 with RM 2 credit. For 4G/LTE ask for their special SIM card.
You can top up at many dealers and service stations shown here. You will receive 1 GB as bonus when you top-up RM 30 and 2 GB when top-up RM 50. Check balances by *134#.
Data feature packages
Default data is RM 0.05 per MB. These packages are sold:
|300 MB||1 day||RM 1||300M|
|2 GB||1 week||RM 10||2GW|
|4 GB + 500 mins (on-net)||1 month||RM 28||4G||+ 4 GB for top-up RM 30+|
|8 GB + 1000 mins (on-net)||1 month||RM 48||8G||+ 8 GB for top-up RM 50+|
|120 GB (10 GB/month)||12 months||RM 200||120G||+ 8 GB for top-up RM 100+|
For subscription text code to 2222. Packages will auto-renew. To stop text activation code followed by 'STOP' to 2222. To check text code followed by 'STATUS' to 2222. All SMS to 2222 cost RM 0.10. For extra data you can add 2 GB for RM 15 by '2G ADD' to 2222.
+VIBE Online Plans
These combo plans are offered too valid for 30 days:
|Data||on-net mins||all-net mins||Activation||Price|
|4 GB||30 mins||30 mins||DP15||RM 14.15|
|12 GB||40 mins||40 mins||DP30||RM 28.30|
|20 GB||unlimited||60 mins||DP50||RM 47.17|
Purchase your plan online or by code. To check balance text code and STATUS, to renew ahead of time code and RENEW, to stop code and STOP. For extra data you can add 2 GB at RM 14.15.
AirAsia Traveller Plan
On all inbound flights of AirAsia to Malaysia their Traveller Plan SIM card is offered. Furthermore ordered online these SIM cards are shipped worldwide. They are only available to foreigners:
- Lite Plan: RM 25 with 5 GB and RM 5 airtime for 7 days
- Power Plan: RM 50 with 10 GB and RM 10 airtime for 14 days
To activate, type 'LITE' or 'POWER' to 2222. To top-up you can use the usual ways and regular packages for data. To check balance, text 'STATUS' to 2222.
You can get 500 MB for RM 33 per day in Australia (Telstra, Vodafone), Bangladesh (Robi), Cambodia (Smart, Metfone), China (CH Mobile, CH Unicom), India (Vodafone, Idea), Hong Kong and Macau (SmarTone, CSL), Nepal (Ncell), Philippines (Smart), Indonesia (XL, Telkomsel), Russia (beeline, MTS), Singapore (M1, Starhub), Sri Lanka (Dialog, Hutch) and Taiwan (Chunghwa, FarEasTone), Thaliand (dtac, True), USA (AT&T), UAE (du), Germany (T-Mobile, Vodafone), UK (Vodafone, EE), France (Orange, Bouygues). To activate, enter *138# and choose plan.
- APN: tunetalk
- Website: http://tunetalk.com/my/
- There are no Tune Talk roaming service at Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani due to Thailand regulations.
- There are no Tune Talk roaming service at Kashmir, Jammu and Sri Nagar due to India regulations.
XOX Mobile / ONEXOX 
XOX Mobile and ONEXOX are two MVNOs using the network of Celcom in 2G, 3G and 4G/LTE (see above) with the same portfolio. It features unusual long validity rules, that can be appealing users that want to keep their SIM card alive.
Top-ups can be bought at many service stations and 7-Eleven. To check credit, type *132# or *150*1#.
This pass allows the subscriber to purchase mobile services with sharing of data, minutes and SMS to any other users of the same brand, which will not expire as long as the account is active. Every time a subscriber activates their monthly mobile internet, it will be directly deducted from their Season Pass available data instead of credit or airtime.
So for any pass you get an account validity of 28 months which is rather unusual in Malaysia as season pass validity follows the SIM card expiry date which is 28 months.
|20 GB||RM 100||SP D1|
|30 GB||RM 150||SP D2|
|50 GB||RM 250||SP D3|
|10 GB||333 mins||RM 80||SP C1|
|20 GB||333 mins||RM 130||SP C2|
Send code to 22111 for activation. To check data balance text 'BAL' to 23388. To transfer data to another number, text: <recipient number>D<GB volume>< PIN >and send to 23388. You can check balance or transfer data on type *150#.
Data feature packs 
These further data packages called "Fat Data Plan" are available:
|1 GB||1 day||RM 3||DATA FATD1|
|2 GB||7 days||RM 10||DATA FATW2|
|500 MB||30 days||RM 12||DATA FAT500|
|1 GB||RM 15||DATA FAT1|
|2 GB||RM 25||DATA FAT2|
|5 GB||RM 30||DATA FAT5|
|10 GB||RM 50||DATA FAT10|
For subscription text code to 23388. Daily and weekly packages don’t auto-renew, monthly do. The following add-ons for extra data are available:
- 100 MB, RM 5, activation: DATA ADD 100
- 200 MB, RM 10, activation: DATA ADD 200
- 300 MB, RM 15, activation: DATA ADD 300
- 1 GB, RM 35, activation: DATA ADD 1GB
Text activation code to 23388. Packages stay valid as long as the base pack.
You can activate data plan, type *150#
SpeakOut, owned by Pavo Communications Sdn Bhd, arrived as MVNO in Malaysia in 2011. It operates in 3G and on 4G/LTE on the network of Digi.
Starting packages are availabe in 7-Eleven stores in Malaysia as well as other outlets, where the SIM card will be registered before activation. There are four different starter packages to choose from and all have their own data feature packages to add on.
Any starter pack has a validity of 30 days upon activation and another 60 days for incoming calls before being suspended.
Reload vouchers come in dominations of RM 3, RM 10, RM 30, RM 50, RM 100, RM 150 and RM 180, where each RM adds another day of validity. Exception for this is when RM 180 is reloaded, adding 1 year validity. To top-up use option 2 in the menu of *129#. To check balance use option 1 in the menu. To receive the phone settings use *129*7*1#.
When no package is activated or not re-newed, the base default rate will be RM 0.10 per MB on all offers. Once all data allowance is in packages used, speed will be throttled to 64 kbps.
The SpeakOut Prepaid pack is available for RM 16 and includes RM 2 call credit and 500 MB of data at 4G speed for 30 days. There are following auto-renewing plans that can be activated:
|ValueSurf10||500 MB||14 days||RM 10|
|ValueSurf20||1 GB||30 days||RM 20|
|ValueSurf28||1.5 GB||30 days||RM 28|
|ValueSurf38||2.5 GB||30 days||RM 38|
|ValueSurf48||3.5 GB||30 days||RM 48|
MegaRia Packages are available for RM 10 and the cheapest way to get started with SpeakOut. They are aimed to those who are not really heavy data users. The package does not include data, for that the following data packages can be activated via *128*4*1#.
|MegaRia10||500 MB||14 days||RM 10|
|MegaRia20||1 GB||30 days||RM 20|
|MegaRia28||1.5 GB||30 days||RM 28|
Once the data allowance is used, the speed will be throttled to 64 kbps. When not re-newed, the base rate will be RM 0.10 per MB.
Specific for tourists and only available to non-Malaysian passport holders is the tourist starter pack. This pack is available for RM 50 and includes 100 GB of high speed internet for 7 days, RM 5 of talktime and cheap IDD calls to 20 countries. To check your consumptions use *129*1*5#. Once the initial week is over or the 100 GB have been used, there are 2 data plans available via *129*4*1# both valid for 14 days:
- SuperSurf: 5 GB for RM 30
- UltraSurf: 10 GB for RM 50
When data quota has been reached in any plan the following boosters can be added having own validity or when the validity expires of the data plan, whichever that comes first. Use *129*4*3# to check the remaining data allowance:
|Mark1||200 MB||3 days||RM 5|
|Mark2||500 MB||7 days||RM 10|
|Mark3||1 GB||15 days||RM 18|
- APN: not known, use *129*7*1# to retrieve
- Website: http://www.speakout.asia
- SpeakOut2Care App allows managing your plan for Android and iOS users
redONE Network Sdn Bhd. was established in 2012 and is a MVNO on the Celcom network in 2G, 3G and 4G/LTE.
The prepaid starter pack is sold in many stores (store locator) for a RM 30 top-up. It comes with a one time activation bonus of 500 MB high speed data and another 1 GB at low speeds (max. 64 kbps) valid for one month plus RM 6 additional credit.
As a bonus you will receive 500 MB high speed and a further 1 GB at low speeds (max. 64 kbps) per month as long as you have activated another package.
Reloads are sold at Petron, Shell and Caltex filling stations, epay offices, mynews kiosks, Watsons drugstores, Happy Marts and many more places. To check credit dial *124#. For top-ups high bonuses are paid:
- for RM 10 top-up: 100 MB per day for 10 days
- for RM 20 top-up: 200 MB per day for 20 days
- for RM 30, RM 40 and RM 50 top-up: 300 MB per day for 30 days
Note that loaded credit is only valid for 30 days. To check validity dial *124#.
Data feature packages Default rate outside packages, add-ons and bonuses is RM 0.01 per 200 KB. These bundles can be added:
|1 GB||1 day||RM 3|
|2 GB||7 days||RM 10|
|5 GB||30 days||RM 30|
|10 GB||RM 50|
Data is up to 4G/LTE and will be throttled to 64 kbps when quota is reached. To activate dial *108# and select package. There is no auto-renewal and packages are not stackable. You can buy a new pack when the old has been fully utilised or has expired. A monthly max. of 10 GB in high speed internet is applied. Singapore RedONE Customers can also roam with their local data plan in Malaysia, but the reverse is only possible at a surcharge for prepaid customers.
redONE offers two options for travelers continuing on to other countries after Malaysia: a "daily rate" roaming option on the local SIM, or a separate "Travel SIM" product.
Roaming with a local SIM is capped at RM 28 per day for the following countries and operators: Bangladesh- (Robi-Airtel), Hong Kong and Macau (Smartone), Indonesia (XL Axiata), Cambodia (Smart), Sri Lanka (Dialog), Singapore (M1), Taiwan (Chunghwa) and Nepal (Ncell).
Make sure to select the correct operator, as redONE has roaming agreements with multiple operators in some of these countries. For example, in Singapore it has agreements with all three major operators but only offers the daily cap on M1, charging a per-use rate of 0.03 RM per 100 kB on the others instead.
Their Travel SIM is valid in China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore, and Indonesia, and is available in two sizes:
- RM 50: 4 GB full-speed data, 7 days validity
- RM 100: 8 GB full-speed data, 15 days validity
Data is throttled to 128 kbps beyond the full-speed allowance.
- APN: redone
- Website: http://www.redone.com.my
Yoodo is an MVNO mobile service that runs in fully-digital, owned and operated by Celcom Axiata Berhad, a subsidiary company to Axiata. It's the very first Malaysian mobile plan that introduces customisable mobile services where customers can customise their mobile plan according their needs. Since it is operated by Celcom Axiata, the coverage also runs on its own network in 2G and 4G/LTE.
The SIM pack is free of charge and sold through the app (iOS, Android) and it can be delivered only to a Malaysian address. However, for those with eSIM card phone capability, Yoodo offers free eSIM card activations. This is a convenient way to get the internet working before stepping foot into Malaysia. The prepaid pack does not come with any credit and requires a package to be activated.
Reloads can be made only using the app and international debit/credit cards are accepted as well as many Malaysian e-Wallets.
Data feature packages
All packages are auto-renewable with option to disable the renewal within the app.
- High-speed data plans:
|2 GB||30 days||RM 12|
|6 GB||RM 18|
|10 GB||RM 25|
|20 GB||RM 35|
|30 GB||RM 40|
|40 GB||RM 48|
|60 GB||RM 58|
- Unlimited data plans:
|3 Mbps||30 days||RM 35|
|6 Mbps||RM 43|
Unlimited data plans come with 2 GB hotspot data allowance. More hotspot data are available as add-on.
A current data package plus a "Roam like home" package is required. Data allowance is deducted from the current data plan. Roaming is available in 67 countries (link). These countries are divided into zones A, B and C.
|1 day||RM 5/10/20|
|3 days||RM 13/26/52|
|5 days||RM 30/60/120|
- APN: yoodo
- Website: http://www.yoodo.com.my
Buzz Me was the latest MVNO arrival in Malaysia. It operated in 2G/3G and new on 4G/LTE on the network of U Mobile with free-roaming on Maxis which comes to an end in 2018. It has announced that it will discontinue its service from 31 January 2019. The virtual operator has advised existing customers that they should port their number to their preferred cellco by 28 January 2019 if they wish to retain it.