- 1 Basics
- 2 AIS (1-2-Call, you! Mobile)
- 3 dtac
- 4 TrueMove H
- 5 My (by CAT)
- 6 Penguin SIM (on CAT)
- 7 Finn Mobile (previously LINE Mobile, on dtac)
Three main mobile operators of Thailand ("big three") - AIS, DTAC and True Move. There is a number of smaller providers or MVNOs that lease government bandwidth mostly on the CAT network (such as Finn, Penguin or My).
Purchase of a new SIM card is easy, and can be done at operators' shops in major malls or at the airports or at any 7-Eleven, Family Mart and many mini markets. Thailand does, however, have a strictly enforced mandatory SIM card registration and you will need to provide your ID or passport at the point of purchase (see below).
Generally you have the choice between two options:
- buying your tourist SIM at an airport store or flagship store of the operator in a shopping mall
- buying your local SIM in an operator store or mini market like Family Mart, 7-Eleven and others
Arriving at BKK (Suvarnabhumi) airport in Bangkok, the 3 major players have their flagship stores in the big arrivals hall just past the customs check almost side by side. There you can compare prices and promotions. At DMK (Don Mueang) Bangkok's budget airport you can now find the stores of the three major providers located next to each other facing exit gate 6. At Phuket's internatl. terminal and Chiang Mai's airports you find stalls of the providers too. Alternatively, you can go to a flagship store of the provider found in major shopping malls. If you don’t want a tourist SIM, there are several 3rd party phone shops even at BKK airport near the train entry point at the lower level, as well as most operator stores and mini-markets like 7-Eleven and FamilyMart in town.
Tourist and local SIM cards
Some users argue that local SIM cards bought in a mini store are cheaper. That's right, but tourist plans sold only in branded operator stores at the airport or in malls have other advantages. If you want to call IDD, they give you the lowest rates (ask for the prefix). In these stores you will get English-speaking service and they will install the SIM in your device with all the configurations. You clearly understand your plan and the included services print out in English. They are not a rip-off like in some other SE Asian countries and a valid option for not so experienced users. In addition, for late-night arrivals generally the operator desks at the airport selling tourist SIMs are the only ones active (the registration system mini-markets use for registering local SIMs shuts down at night so even if the store is open, they can not complete activation for you), so if you want a local rate plan you will have to wait until the next day.
On the other hand local SIM cards are somewhat cheaper for data, have speed-limited but true unlimited usage options available, and they support international roaming if you plan on going to other countries in the region later. In addition, the big providers are now willing to provide support in English for visitors using these local SIMs if you go to one of the flagship locations or call the customer service line. You will, however, need to know what plan you want and which strings are attached. The cheapest plans are severely throttled in max. speed, some as low as 384 kbps. But they can be a very good value for regular visitors to the country as well as travelers around the region who don’t want to have to find a new SIM (and register ID again) for each country they visit.
In the list below we show some of the local prices as an indicative because there are many more options and promotions around. These plans are separate from the Tourist and Roaming SIM cards that you need to buy in a branded store and both lines can't be mixed.
Concerns for all providers
The big three operators have SIM cards for all sizes - normal, micro and nano SIMs. All major operators allow tethering and they treat all data going through their network equally. If you are using an iPhone, you may need to perform a network reset or a carrier update for the mobile tethering option to appear. Tethering provides, most of the time, excellent quality. It's sufficient for VoIP and supports PPTP/SSL/IPsec VPNs. If you work remote and are a heavy user, you will have a trouble free experience.
For voice calling overseas heavily reduced rates even below VoIP providers are offered by the three major operators using special IDD prefix codes on Tourist Plans only. Let them give you the cheapest option for your destination which has to be dialed before the country code (see below).
Adding credit or airtime is quite easy as long as you stay in Thailand. Loading airtime gives you ability to make calls or subscribe to data packages and also extends the lifetime of the SIM card. A few physical places where you can top-up are 7-Eleven, Family Mart, BigC, Tesco, phone kiosks and the outlets of the operators. Note that 7-Eleven can only sell top ups for cash and not for AIS.
Adding credit online is also possible and there are some options:
- Officially, dtac no longer accepts foreign credit cards for top-ups via its app for no fee. Foreign Visa and MasterCard cards have been tested and no longer work as of 2021. However, foreign JCB cards still work.
- MobileTopup.com accepts Alipay, Cryptocurrency international and local Visa and MasterCard with a fee, and PromptPay without.
- If you have Bitcoin you can top-up at MobileTopup.com or bitrefill.com
- If you use Webmoney you can do it through wm-thailand.com. Most of these options add face value surcharges, and conversion fees may be added in the process. They remain mostly limited to the 3 major providers.
- For developers, there is also a API service.
- Rabbit LINE Pay, a local digital wallet built into the LINE messaging app, supports foreign Visa/MasterCard/JCB cards and allows top-ups to AIS or dtac accounts for no additional fee. You will need to set this up after arrival, however, as it requires a Thai mobile number as well as the address of where you are staying in Thailand.
There are a lot more resellers found on the internet, all using the same API and provider. If one of them does not work with your number and payment option, trying another one will most likely give you the same error.
You have to top-up a Thai SIM card every 45 days or pay more to add validity in order to keep it alive as well as make at least one call or outgoing SMS activity every 6 months. Many Thai SIM cards expire in 45 days after the last top-up, unless you are able to add extra validity. The bare minimum to maintain validity is 10 THB every month. DTAC's policy is that every top-up extends SIM validity by 30 days, so multiple small top-ups will keep your SIM active for longer than one large top-up (example: 5 x 20 THB top-up extends your SIM validity by 150 days compared to a single 100 THB top-up). Additionally, True and DTAC allow you to extend validity for a price, check this site on how to extend.
Before you purchase any SIM card, make sure that the network you are choosing is compatible with your devices (see below). The big three providers have different networks operating on more than one set of frequencies that are combined through domestic roaming. So you should better enable roaming on your device, even for domestic use. Most old networks mainly on 2G are about to decommissioned soon. These frequencies are used for 3G, 4G/LTE and since 2020 5G NR:
- AIS has 3G/DC-HSPA on 900 and 2100 MHz (and roaming on TOT 2100 MHz) and started in 2016 with 4G/LTE Advanced called "4.5G" on 700, 900, 1800, and 2100 MHz (bands 1, 3, 8, and 28). 5G started on 2600 MHz (n41) and mmWave (n257).
- dtac has the largest 3G spectrum: 3G/DC-HSPA on 850 and 2100 MHz and 4G/LTE on 700, 1800, and 2100 MHz (bands 1, 3, and 28), with 5G on 700MHz (n28) and mmWave (n257).
- TrueMove H has 3G/DC-HSPA on 850 and 2100 MHz 3G/DC-HSPA and the largest 4G/LTE spectrum on 850, 900, 1800 and 2100 MHz (bands 1, 3, 5, 8, and 28) as well as TDD-LTE 2300 MHz (band 40). 5G started on 2600 MHz (n41) and mmWave (n257).
- CAT: is on 3G/HSPA only on 850 MHz (with national 4G roaming for its My brand on True's 4G/LTE network on 1800 and 2100 MHz).
- TOT: is on 3G/HSPA on 2100 MHz in Bangkok only (nationwide through 3G roaming on AIS) and plans 4G/LTE on 1800 MHz 4G/LTE (B1) and 2300 MHz TDD-LTE (B40) as well as mmWave 5G (n257).
Note that all old 2G/GSM networks are to be shut down within the next few years as the providers need more spectrum for LTE. AIS has sealed a roaming agreement with dtac for 2G on their 1800 MHz band, which dtac is going to use until 2018. True has leased back bandwidth from CAT on 1800 MHz for 2G until the end of 2016 while TOT has never had any 2G. However, all providers and the NBTC have agreed in late 2019 to indefinitely postpone the shutdown date, so the networks remain in place for now, but be aware that the shutdown plans can resume at any time.
Coverage, speed and 5G
The leading trio is very much on par. 4G/LTE availability is generally high at about 90-95% of the population on all three major networks. According to Open Signal in 2020 AIS had the best 4G coverage at 95%, while dtac had the best download speeds at an average 10 Mbps. Sometimes there is congestion in city areas. 5G started on AIS and True in 2020 on 2600 MHz (n41), while dtac is planning to deploy 5G on the 700 MHz band. In addition, all providers have mmWave (n257) spectrum and are deploying it.
IDD Calling Prefixes
Thailand is one of the few countries where some international calls are charged lower than domestic or even VoIP calls. For this you have to use certain IDD prefixes. So the correct order to dial abroad is:
<IDD prefix> <country code> <area code> <local number>
The prefixes differ between operators and are added at the end of each section. The major providers give out special discounted prefixes on which major landlines in Europe, America, Asia and Australia can be called for as low as 1 THB per min. On all operators you can use CAT's prefix 009 (price list) or TOT's 008.
New biometric registration (effective 2017)
Under the law all SIM cards have to be registered from 2015. You will need to show an ID at the point of purchase. This is now enforced in all providers stores and outlets very strictly and from the end of 2017 a new biometric system is introduced. You will now additionally have your face scanned or fingerprints taken.
The new system is mandatory from 2017 to the registration of both new prepaid and postpaid SIM cards, but not to existing SIM card holders. It's to be used across Thailand in all 55,000 customer service shops and outlets. Operators can choose to use either the face or fingerprint recognition verification system.
The number of new SIM cards sold by all three major mobile phone operators that are ordered to introduce this new biometric registration system is around 4.2 million units monthly. Under the previous method, the registration locations copied only the ID cards of the SIM card buyer together with a barcode of the purchased SIM card.
Under this new method, new SIM card subscribers will have to insert their ID cards into the fingerprint reader or the face recognition card reader at the registration locations. The card readers are connected to the mobile phones or PC of the registration locations. In the case of the face recognition system, the locations will take the SIM card users’ face with the mobile phones embedded with an NBTC registration application. Then the app will see, if the captured face matches with the face stored in the ID card database. Foreigners buying SIM cards in Thailand will have their faces scanned and matched against their passport photographs.
In 2018 new restrictions on the number of SIM cards have been implemented. Users can from now on only buy up to 5 SIM cards from one mobile provider, which then must be registered via the country’s biometric verification system (a face recognition or a fingerprint verification).
Thailand has a very strong network of public WiFi hotspots all over the country. Some of them e.g. in airports are free and publicly available. Others in hotels and restaurants are for customers only. There are many hotspots of AIS, True and dtac throughout the country. If you purchase a SIM, also check for the accompanying WiFi plan. In general monthly plans over 500 THB per month will include free WiFi package. WiFi plans can be purchased separately as well, and paid from your phone balance. While True has the largest WiFi presence, AIS has the largest roll out of the latest 802.11n WiFi points, and generally has better speeds and reliability.
Some prices below are without taxes. Expect to add 7% tax for the final price.
AIS (1-2-Call, you! Mobile)
AIS has the largest 2G/3G network with a 50% customer share. It's part of the SingTel Corp. that also owns e.g. Optus in Australia and SingTel in Singapore.
Surprisingly, AIS was the last major provider to start 4G/LTE in 2016 on the 1800 and 2100 MHz band (B3, B1), partly marketed as "4.5G" or LTE Advanced. It now covers 80% of the population in 2017: 3G/4G coverage map and is competitive to True and dtac. 5G has started on 2600 MHz (n41). AIS' prepaid brand is often dubbed 1-2-Call.
You can get their SIM cards online (only for old 3G SIMs) to be sent to a Thai address and at airports, major shopping malls, telecom stands, in AIS and Telewiz branded stores (shop locator in Thai with map). Change language of their messages to English by pressing *700# <call> and choose option 5.
Top-up, balance check and validity
Top-ups can be done in many ways, but ATMs and internet banking require Thai bank accounts. So topping up by an electronic top-up or cash card is recommended. They are sold at some convenience stores such as Family Mart, Tesco/Lotus, Big C or online. 7/11 stores do not sell AIS top-ups anymore, but usually you can find a stand alone vending machine which will allow you to use cash to top up. A small fee will be deducted.
Every AIS store has a "payment kiosk" that is an automated top-up machine as well. These green/white machines are also found at malls and MRT/BTS stations, and are the fastest option to Top-up. There is no markup, 500 THB in gives you 500 THB credit.
Top-ups can also be made by credit card on the AIS service page in increments of 50 THB. International credit cards are a mixed bag, most of them do not work.
Top-ups up to THB 150 are valid for 30 days and of more than THB 150 are valid for 60 days. In case there is no usage or no recharge for 90 days, with no remaining validity, the number will be automatically terminated.
To maximize validity extension, top up in small increments e.g. For THB 500 credit, top up THB 100 5 times and the validity will be extended 5 times instead of once with a single THB 500 top-up.
To top-up by code, type *120*<16 digit voucher PIN>#. To check account balance and validity, type *121#. Check data balances by *121*3#.
1-2-Call SIM cards are their regular prepaid voice and data cards. All new SIM cards include 4G/LTE and 5G are sold for around THB 50 with a THB 15 call credit and some bonuses. They offer a huge array of SIM cards:
- The One SIM: This SIM was introduced in 2018 as often a specific SIM can't be found. When you top-up at least THB 150 cumulatively a month you get 2 GB of YouTube data for 30 days as well as unlimited data on AIS Super WiFi hotspots, and every day you top up at least THB 50 you get unlimited YouTube data for that day. In addition, you get unlimited data for use of TikTok. However, all free usage must be redeemed through the MyAIS app (not geo-restricted).
- Super Social: This SIM is geared to social media. For a top-up of at least THB 150 you get unlimited use of Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Line, Twitter, and WhatsApp at 4 Mbps for 30 days and unlimited AIS Super WiFi data for 30 days.
- Super Net SIM: This is their best SIM for data-use. It's sold for THB 50 (discounted to THB 25 if purchased together with a top-up of at least THB 150). After activation you get unlimited internet at 2 Mbps valid for 30 days, and upon topping up at least THB 150, for the following 30 days as well. Regular packages (see below) can also be added. It is available at FamilyMart stores.
- Zeed: This SIM is targeted to teens and has been one of their best plans, but seems to be faded out. On activation, it includes 500 MB of data, and 2 GB of YouTube data for 1 month. It also includes AIS Super WiFi. These data allowances renew for future months if you top up at least THB 100 per month. However, this SIM is very difficult to find, and may be sold by shops at a mark-up over face value (e.g. 99 THB rather than 50 THB).
- Net Marathon: These are preset SIM cards valid for 6 or 12 months:
- 7.5 GB per month at 1 Mbps for 6 months: THB 600
- 7.5 GB per month at 1 Mbps for 12 months: THB 1200
- 20 GB per month at 4 Mbps for 6 months: THB 1400
- 100 GB per month at 10 Mbps for 12 months: THB 1790
- Zodiac SIM: This SIM comes in 12 different zodiacs. It's sold for THB 99 and contains 500 MB data and WiFi for 7 days and another 1 GB data as bonus if you top-up at least THB 150.
- Others: AIS has some other SIM cards, but most are probably not of interest to visitors like Sood Koom SIM. Their tourist SIM called Lucky SIM and their roaming SIM called SIM2Fly are featured further below in the article.
High speed data packages
AIS has a rather large and confusing range of data add-on packages (in addition to their many SIM card types, some of which already come with data). These data packages on up to 4G/LTE can be activated on all their SIM cards from above.
|Data||1 day||3 days||7 days||30 days|
|100 MB||9 THB|
|200 MB||15 THB|
|600 MB||20 THB|
|1 GB||35 THB||65 THB||99 THB||199 THB|
|1.5 GB||39 THB||69 THB||109 THB||229 THB|
|2 GB||45 THB||75 THB||115 THB||239 THB|
|3 GB||49 THB||79 THB||119 THB||399 THB|
|4 GB||69 THB||99 THB||135 THB||450 THB|
|5 GB||75 THB||105 THB||155 THB||488 THB|
|8 GB||89 THB||149 THB||199 THB||599 THB|
For activation use their app or go to this page, enter your phone number and you will get the activation code by SMS.
Subscribers will be able to use the package allowance after receiving SMS confirmation. If any internet usage allowance has not been used after the package validity ends, the remaining internet allowance will be forfeited. Excess usage will be calculated at the rate of your main package. Service rates are 7% VAT exclusive.
Low speed data packages
Furthermore, some throttled packages are sold with "unlimited data" in different speeds. However, since 2019 these are no longer real unlimited packages as after some threshold they are capped to 128 or 64 kbps/s.
|64 kbps||unlimited||30 days||29 THB|
|512 kbps||500 MB||24 hours||22 THB|
|2.5 GB||7 days||89 THB|
|7.5 GB||30 days||300 THB|
|1 Mbps||500 MB||24 hours||25 THB|
|2.5 GB||7 days||120 THB|
|7.5 GB||30 days||350 THB|
|4 Mbps||1 GB||24 hours||32 THB|
|7 GB||7 days||220 THB|
|20 GB||30 days||650 THB|
|6 Mbps||1.5 GB||24 hours||45 THB|
|9 GB||7 days||270 THB|
|25 GB||30 days||850 THB|
|10 Mbps||2 GB||24 hours||55 THB|
|14 GB||7 days||330 THB|
|33 GB||30 days||1100 THB|
For activation use their app or go to this site, pick your pack, enter your number and receive the SMS activation code.
As of early 2020 AIS has a special promotion with unlimited volumes only for new SIM cards. It must be activated within 7 days of card activation and works only if no other package has been applied to the card before:
- max 4 Mbps: 150 THB, activation: *777*967*306650#
- max. 10 Mbps: 200 THB, activation: *777*968*306650#
It auto-renews for up to 12 months, if account balance allows it.
Social media packages
Social media users can add these packs with unlimited use of Facebook, Line, Instagram and WhatsApp:
- for 24 hours: incl. 300 MB general data @ 384 kbps: 17 THB, activation: *777*766#
- for 7 days: incl. 100 MB general data: 59 THZB, activation: *777*7013#
Tourist SIM: AIS Lucky SIM
Alternatively, AIS offers their Lucky SIM to visitors in five different starter packs (prices inclusive of VAT):
- for 49 THB: 7 days of free WeChat and AIS Super WiFi
- for 88 THB: 7 days of unlimited mobile data at 1 Mbps and AIS Super WiFi, extendable for 88 THB per 7 days, automatically charged if there is enough balance in the account
- for 160 THB: 5 GB data, 15 THB call credit, free social apps and AIS Super WiFi for 5 days at AIS shops and retailers.
- for 299 THB: 15 GB data, 15 THB call credit, free social apps and AIS Super WiFi for 8 days (16 days in promotion) at major airport stores, other AIS stores and Family Mart nationwide.
- for 599 THB: 30 GB data, 15 THB call credit, free social apps and AIS Super WiFi for 15 days (30 days in promotion) at AIS stores nationwide.
All data beyond the quota is throttled to 384 kbps (and all data packages added to the 49 THB starter SIM will be throttled to 384 kbps). Social apps include Facebook, Line, WeChat, Twitter, WhatsApp, TikTok, and Instagram. On all Lucky SIMs the cheap IDD prefix 00300 enables calls to some destinations like Germany or China at 1 THB per min. For more countries use 003 prefix for reduced call rates.
The default data rate outside packages is 2 THB per MB. These add-ons are advertised for the Lucky SIM (tax incl.), valid for 8 days, but in fact you can add any regular package shown above too:
|39 THB||3 GB||*777*7102#|
|59 THB||5 GB||*777*7104#|
|90 THB||10 GB||*777*7106#|
|150 THB||20 GB||*777*7442#|
When used up, max. speed will be throttled from to 384 kbps.
AIS WiFi passes
AIS has many WiFi hotspots, especially in shopping malls and airports. AIS Super WiFi Packs are available with unlimited data volumes:
|9 THB||1 hour||*777*380#|
|19 THB||5 hours||*777*381#|
|29 THB||1 day||*777*382#|
|99 THB||30 days||*777*384#|
You will need to purchase any AIS SIM card (for 50 THB) in order to buy a WiFi pass. All packages now provide access to to AIS Super WiFi, which has superior speeds (tested up to 150/150 Mbps in real world use) compared to the normal WiFi (capped at 10/1 Mbps). For the 1 hour and 5 hour packages, time is counted from login to logout. To log out, go to wifi.ais.co.th.
Some SIMs and packages come with WiFi; to obtain the password dial *388*1# or get it online.
Roaming SIM: SIM2Fly
The AIS SIM2Fly was originally meant for outbound Thai tourists, but is now being distributed throughout the region, because it offers quite good roaming rates. The SIM2Fly SIM card comes in 2 varieties:
- 399 THB: SIM card for certain countries in Asia and Australia for 10 days
- 899 THB: SIM card for certain countries in Europe and the Americas for 15 days
The Asian version comes with 6 GB roaming data at 3G and 4G/LTE speeds and is valid for 10 days in China (incl. Tibet), Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Laos, India (in certain states only), Taiwan, Macao, Philippines, Cambodia, Myanmar, Australia, Nepal, Indonesia, Qatar and Sri Lanka and now in Vietnam and Brunei too.
After the main package has expired, you can add a new data package. For more data in the same countries you can use following codes to extend your data package:
- 1 GB valid for 2 days: 119 THB, activation by *111*356#
- 4 GB valid for 8 days: 299 THB, activation by *111*354#
As the data package is 100 THB less then the price of a new SIM card, it may be worthwhile to keep your SIM active. You can extent the validity by various methods listed here. AIS SIM2Fly can be found for sale all over SE Asia. Some online shops are selling SIM2fly SIM cards to foreign countries for a surcharge and delivery fees. To top-up from abroad you can use https://mobiletopup.com/ (5% fees apply for credit card payments and amounts start at 20 THB) or other agencies that can charge up to 30% fees.
Be aware of the strict Thai SIM cards validity rules: prepaid SIMs can expire in as little as 45 days after last use. Any top-up (regardless of the value) extends validity for another 30 days. To maintain a validity of one year then, you can top-up 12 times, getting 30 days with each top-up. Minimum top-up value is 10 THB, but most international agencies start at 20 THB only. As long as the SIM is active, your credit balance remains for next use. There is one online service that will automate this process to add 360 days to your prepaid SIM for a fee. Generally, these top-up requirements can make the deal much less attractive for occasional users, but remain a good option, if you buy and load it in Thailand for an onward journey through SE Asia.
As of 2019 the AIS SIM2Fly is now available as an eSIM, and initially supported by the iPhone Xr and Xs. The eSim has the same data plans of the conventional SIM, but no physical SIM is needed. The eSIM should work on any device with an embedded SIM that can scan a QR code to load the SIM profile. For now eSIMs can be purchased at AIS shops, on the AIS website, and various online resellers. Keep in mind eSIMs need to be reissued if you wish to switch phones or deactivate the plan.
You can switch the SMS language of the plan to English with code: *119*2#
- IDD prefixes for calling abroad: 003 (quality) or 00300 (budget on some plans like Traveller SIM, from THB 1 per min)
- APN: internet
- Websites (in English & Thai, click the flag icon on the top right to change language between English and Thai): https://www.ais.co.th/en/index.html?intcid=getpage-en-header_menu-logo#0
dtac for Total Access Communication is Thailand's 3rd largest network by the number of users. It's partly owned by Telenor group from Norway and is the network that owns the biggest wireless bandwidth in the country. Its prepaid brand is called Happy.
4G/LTE started in 2014 on 2100 MHz (B1) in Bangkok only and has been expanded in 2015 to Phuket and Pattaya and another 40 cities nationwide: 4G coverage map. In 2015 4G/LTE was started in the metro Bangkok area mostly on the additional 1800 MHz (B3) frequency which is much more common internationally. In June, 2018 DTAC started offering 4G+ on the rare 2300 MHz frequency through a deal with TOT. 5G is planned on 700 MHz.
You can get their SIM cards from almost any shop including at the airports, but if you prefer, you can obtain it directly from their stores. The current list of available SIM starters is here.
- Happy NET SIM: Costs 49 THB, comes with unlimited Facebook, Facebook Messenger, LINE, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube at 42 Mbps for 7 days after every top-up of at least 50 THB, up to 4x per month and 12 months from activation.
- Happy Combo SIM: Costs 99 THB, only available at 7-Eleven, comes with unlimited data at 2 Mbps and unlimited number of 15-minute calls to other DTAC numbers for 7 days from activation
- Go Plearn SIM: Costs 49 THB, comes with free basic 4G internet at slow 64 kbps for 12 months from activation (from other SIMs change by *103*55*9# for 30 THB), which can be extended another 12 months with at least 10 THB of paid usage in the past 12-month period.
- Super 4G SIM: Costs 49 THB, comes with free YouTube streaming at night (midnight-8am), zero-rated music streaming through the Music Infinite app and 1GB per month for 7 days up to 12 months when top-up at least 150 THB per month (press *103*333*9#).
- Gift SIM: A free limited-time promotional SIM available until the end of 2021. 500 MB for 3 days is given out with a 20 THB top-up within 3 days of activation, and 1 GB of data for 7 days is given out each month with at least 100 THB top-up.
- Net Zing X2 SIM: Costs 25 THB, gives out unlimited data at 2 Mbps for 15 days with any top-up within 15 days of activation. After this period, two additional unlimited-usage packages at 2 Mbps are available for this SIM- 100 THB for 7 days (activate by dialing *104*101#) and 300 THB for 30 days (activate by dialing *104*103#). Both packages auto-renew for up to 12 months from activation date if there is sufficient balance on the renewal date.
There are other SIM starters available, but they are either only available online or are not as good value as what is presented here.
High speed data packages
Default rate for data is 1.99 THB per MB except for the Happy NET SIM where it is 0.99 THB per MB. dtac offers two main categories of packages: those with a certain high-speed volume that is throttled when used up and those that are reduced in speed from the start and are called 3G or light packages.
For the first category, you get connection at full 4G/LTE or 5G speed up to 100 Mbps for a certain amount of data, then your speed will be capped at the stated fair use policy (FUP) maximum speed which is varied respective to the plan you choose (but you can use them as much as you like, they are unlimited after all).
Some options only appear online. They can be activated either on the dtac app or by finding the package on this page, clicking "more detail" on the desired package, and following the steps.
|24 hours||9 THB||100 MB||cut off||free Facebook||*104*851*9#|
|19 THB||500 MB||64 kbps||*104*881*9#|
|19 THB||600 MB||overage rate||online only|
|29 THB||500 MB||128 kbps||free dtac calls||*104*911*9#|
|29 THB||1 GB||64 kbps||*104*882*9#|
|35 THB||1.5 GB||overage rate||online only|
|45 THB||3 GB||overage rate||online only|
|3 days||55 THB||1.5 GB||overage rate||online only|
|75 THB||3 GB||overage rate||online only|
|95 THB||5 GB||overage rate||online only|
|5 days||99 THB||500 MB||128 kbps||free dtac calls||*104*912*9#|
|7 days||59 THB||400 MB||cut off||free Facebook||*104*852*9#|
|79 THB||600 MB||128 kbps||free music streaming||*104*883*9#|
|79 THB||1.5 GB||overage rate||online only|
|99 THB||2 GB||64 kbps||*104*342*9#|
|99 THB||4 GB||cut off||online only|
|129 THB||1.5 GB||128 kbps||free dtac calls||*104*913*9#|
|149 THB||5 GB||64 kbps||*104*315*9#|
|149 THB||16 GB||overage rate||online only|
|15 days||189 THB||10 GB||overage rate||online only|
|30 days||199 THB||500 MB||64 kbps||80 all-net mins||*104*491*9#|
|199 THB||1 GB||128 kbps||*104*349*9#|
|199 THB||1.5 GB||cut off||free Facebook||*104*853*9#|
|199 THB||2 GB||overage rate||online only|
|299 THB||750 MB*||64 kbps||100 all-net mins||*104*492*9#|
|299 THB||5 GB||64 kbps||*104*325*9#|
|299 THB||6 GB||overage rate||online only|
|399 THB||3 GB *||64 kbps||150 all-net mins||*104*493*9#|
|399 THB||3.5 GB||128 kbps||free dtac calls||*104*914*9#|
|499 THB||4 GB *||64 kbps||200 all-net mins||*104*494*9#|
|499 THB||5 GB||128 kbps||free dtac calls||*104*915*9#|
|499 THB||10 GB||64 kbps||*104*320*9#|
|499 THB||12 GB||overage rate||online only|
|699 THB||8 GB *||64 kbps||300 all-net mins||*104*495*9#|
|799 THB||10 GB||128 kbps||free dtac calls||*104*916*9#|
|1999 THB||20 GB||128 kbps||free dtac calls||*104*917*9#|
(*) = these packages have unlimited dtac WiFi included
Low speed data packages
For light data users, dtac has two types of packages, OK Net and Net No Limit. OK Net packages are reduced in speed from the beginning. They come with a volume at the given speed before throttled to 128 kbps. Net No Limit packages do not throttle beyond the stated speed, but must be activated online:
|384 kbps||400 MB||24 hours||15 THB||*184*871*9#|
|500 MB||24 hours||19 THB||*104*691#|
|unlimited||7 days||24 THB||*104*483*9#||free dtac calls + WiFi|
|unlimited||7 days||144 THB||*104*484*9#||free dtac calls + WiFi|
|512 kbps||300 MB||24 hours||15 THB||*104*872*9#|
|500 MB||24 hours||22 THB||*104*693#|
|1.5 GB||7 days||79 THB||*104*857*9#|
|2.5 GB||7 days||89 THB||*104*629#|
|unlimited||7 days||89 THB||online only|
|7.5 GB||30 days||300 THB||*104*649#|
|unlimited||30 days||300 THB||online only|
|1 Mbps||500 MB||24 hours||25 THB||*104*693#|
|unlimited||24 hours||29 THB||online only|
|2.5 GB||7 days||100 THB||*104*659#|
|unlimited||7 days||120 THB||online only||speed doubled to 2 Mbps in promotion|
|7.5 GB||30 days||350 THB||*104*696#|
|unlimited||30 days||350 THB||online only||speed doubled to 2 Mbps in promotion|
|4 Mbps||1 GB||24 hours||32 THB||*104*694#|
|unlimited||24 hours||32 THB||online only||speed doubled to 8 Mbps in promotion|
|7 GB||7 days||220 THB||*104*679#|
|unlimited||7 days||220 THB||online only|
|20 GB||30 days||650 THB||*104*697#|
|unlimited||30 days||650 THB||online only|
|10 Mbps||2 GB||24 hours||55 THB||*104*695#|
|14 GB||7 days||330 THB||*104*689#|
|33 GB||30 days||1100 THB||*104*698#|
All overuse is at 128 kbps. Check balance in packages by *101*1*9#.
Internet Booster packages
For the unlimited volume packages mentioned above, speed can be temporarily boosted to maximum speed with the following package:
|100 MB||1 day||5 THB|
|300 MB||1 day||9 THB|
|500 MB||1 day||12 THB|
|700 MB||1 day||15 THB|
|1 GB||3 days||39 THB|
|2 GB||7 days||49 THB|
|5 GB||7 days||99 THB|
As with the unlimited volume speed limited packages, these must be activated on the dtac website by following the steps given above, except for the 5 GB package, which can only be activated on the dtac app.
Social media packages
These add-ons can be used for unlimited social media and music streaming:
- unlimited entertainment (YouTube, Tidal, Deezer, Apple Music, etc..): for 1 hour: 10 THB, *104*522*9#, for 24 hours: 19 THB, *104*523*9#, for 7 days: 79 THB, *104*524*9#
- YouTube for 1 hour: 9 THB, *104*867*9#
- unlimited music streaming (Tidal, Deezer, Apple Music, etc.): for 24 hous: 7 THB, *104*573*9#, for 7 days: 19 THB, *104*574*9#, for 30 days: 49 THB, *104*575*9#
- Facebook for a day: 5 THB, *104*405*9#
- Viber for a day: 5 THB, *104*600*9#; for a week: 19 THB, *104*601*9#, for a month: 49 THB, *104*602*9#
- WhatsApp for a week: 19 THB, *104*88*9#
- Line for a week: 19 THB, *104*421*9#
For dtac WiFi, when not included in your data pack, special passes are sold. You must obtain your username and password by dial *4000# and then you can connect any of your device (can be your laptop or a tablet) to all dtac WiFi hotspots. The WiFi usage is unlimited. dtac WiFi can be found mostly in shopping centres and airports.
- 19 THB: 1 hour, activation: *104*619*9#
- 39 THB: 24 hours, activation: *104*639*9#
- 69 THB: 30 days, activation: *104*669*9#
- 99 THB: 30 days including 3BB WiFis, activation: *104*699*9#
Data is unlimited on the WiFi. For your password dial *400*9#.
Roaming Add-Ons - Go Travel
For abroad dtac offers new roaming add-ons, called Go Travel:
- for neighboring countries (Cambodia, Malaysia, Myanmar): 99 THB for 2 GB for 7 days
- for Asia (see countries at Go Inter below), Australia, USA: 399 THB for 6 GB for 10 days
- for worldwide travel: 899 THB for 6 GB for 15 days
These packages can be added online and start immediately. Data is throttled to 128 kbps for the remainder of the active period after the high-speed allowance is used up. You can buy the same packages as a new SIM card called Go Inter (see below).
Tourist SIM: Happy Tourist SIM
dtac also sells SIM cards with short validity and "unlimited" data for tourists. The SIM card is called Happy Tourist SIM. It comes in 4 varieties of starter packs and is on 2G/3G/4G:
- Happy Tourist SIM 49: 49 THB, with 15 THB credit included valid for 35 days
- Happy Tourist SIM 149: 149 THB, with 5 GB for 4 days
- Happy Tourist SIM 299: 299 THB, with 15 GB for 8 days
- Happy Tourist SIM 599: 599 THB, with 30 GB for 15 days
If used up, data will be throttled to 384 kbps for the rest of the running time or 2 THB per MB beyond. Package change fee is 85 THB. Check allowances by *101*1*9#.
You can actually buy their Tourist SIM online here and get it shipped overseas for a whopping THB 350 surcharge worldwide. You can also find the Amazon to be sent abroad. These add-on packages are sold for the Tourist SIM valid for 30 days:
- 2.5 GB: 319.93 THB, activation: *104*353#
- 4.5 GB: 426.93 THB, activation: *104*21#
- 9 GB: 747.93 THB, activation: *104*344#
Some regular data packs may also be added.
Roaming SIM: SIM GO! inter
After the success of SIM2Fly by AIS dtac has revamped their roaming SIM called SIM GO! inter. This SIM is available in their airport shops in Bangkok, Phuket and Samui and in many dtac stores. Starter packs are sold in three varieties:
- for Bangladesh, Cambodia, China (incl. Tibet), Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea (South), Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Australia and the US:
- with 6 GB for 10 days: THB 399
- like above plus 30 mins of domestic calls: THB 499
- worldwide in Asia, AUS, US and Europe added with 6 GB for 15 days: THB 899
These starters can be added by these add-on packages (not available to regular dtac SIM cards):
- for Asia, AUS, US:
- 1 GB for 3 days: THB 199, activation: *104*732*9#
- 5 GB for 10 days: THB 349, activation: *104*732*9#
- for neighboring countries (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia): 2 GB for 7 days, activation: *504*799*#
Be aware that his SIM card follows Thai top-up rules with a validity of only 30 days for any top-up.
Also note that while not officially advertised, the Asia/AUS/US SIM does work in certain countries in Europe, supporting Switzerland (Swisscom), Austria (Drei), Italy (Vodafone), Hungary, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Serbia, Sweden, and Norway (all Telenor). Use in other European countries requires the "worldwide" SIM.
- IDD prefixes for calling abroad: 004 (quality) or 00400 (budget only on the Tourist SIM, starting at 1 THB per min for many countries)
- APN: www.dtac.co.th
- Website: dtac smartphone SIM , dtac data packs
TrueMove H is Thailand's 2nd largest network and the most heavily advertised. TrueMove is part of the larger True Corp. conglomerates, owned by CP Group which is the biggest retailer owning all 7-Eleven and Tesco stores in Thailand.
They were the first provider in to bring 4G/LTE on the 2100 MHz (B1) to Thailand. Its 4G/LTE coverage is the best so far in the country and comprises 80% rising to 96% by the end of 2016: 4G coverage map in Thai and list in English. In 2015 the much more usual 1800 MHz (B3) was added for 4G/LTE as well as 850 and 900 MHz (B8) in 2016. 5G has started in 2020 on 2600 MHz (n41).
You can get their SIM cards from almost everywhere, but you should obtain it directly from any of the True Corp. stores (including True Online and True Visions stores) or 7-Eleven kiosks. Electronic top-ups are sold at all 7-Eleven stores or Family Mart. There, you have to know and enter your number. All currently available starter packs are 4G/LTE enabled. Retail price is 10 THB in promotions and regular 49 THB. Default rate of the first two SIMs is 1.50 THB per MB of data.
- Net Ready SIM: This SIM costs 120 THB and comes with 20 GB at 2 Mbps and unlimited at 128 kbps after for 30 days, auto-renews every month if there is 100 THB in the account
- 4G+ Social SIM: This SIM costs 49 THB and comes with 30 minutes of TrueMove WiFi usage daily as well as unlimited use of 14 social apps and 1 hour of free YouTube usage. In addition, every month there is at least a 150 THB top-up you are given 2 GB of 3G/4G data (1 GB if you do not have a 4G-capable device) valid for 7 days, unlimited WiFi, and unlimited use of those 14 social apps.
- 4G+ eSports SIM: This SIM also costs 49 THB and comes with unlimited use of LINE, Arena of Valor, and TrueMove WiFi 24 hours a day as well as YouTube from 12am to 12pm for 30 days from activation. There is also 10 MB available for other use, and a lower default rate of 0.50 THB per MB. This will auto-renew for 100 THB per month as long as this much is available in the account.
The 14 social apps included in the Social SIM are Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Twitter, WeChat, KakaoTalk, Skype, Viber, WhatsApp, Instagram, Sina Weibo, QQ, Pinterest, Skype, and Snapchat.
When you arrive at BKK airport, you should check their promotions at their store in the arrivals hall at concourse A, 2nd floor, opposite Gate 5. They offer often promotions that are not available otherwise and are mostly for starting-up and the first package only. You may also see their free SIM stand at the airports in Chiang Mai or Phuket.
If you want to use the 5G network, you need to purchase one of their 5G data packages. There are two options, both are valid for 30 days and auto-renew if there is sufficient credit in your account:
- 5 GB: 199 THB, activate by *900*1877#
- 15 GB: 399 THB, activate by *900*8898#
High speed data packages ('4G packs')
All of their SIM cards are now 4G/LTE enabled and are sold for THB 0-49 with very little credit. Speed is up to 100 Mbps on 4G/LTE. Default rate outside package is 1.50 THB per MB. These 4G/LTE packages can be booked on all 4G SIM cards. For all prices add 7% taxes:
|1 day||100 MB||9 THB||*900*3301#|
|1 day||200 MB||15 THB||*900*3306#|
|1 day||400 MB||17 THB||*900*1923#|
|1 day||600 MB||19 THB||*900*8149#|
|1 day||1 GB||29 THB||*900*8997#|
|1 day||1.5 GB||35 THB||*900*8150#|
|1 day||3 GB||45 THB||*900*8151#|
|1 day||4 GB||69 THB||*900*8382#|
|2 days||1.5 GB||49 THB||*900*8383#|
|2 days||3 GB||69 THB||*900*8384#|
|3 days||1.5 GB||55 THB||*900*8152#|
|3 days||3 GB||75 THB||*900*8153#|
|3 days||5 GB||95 THB||*900*8154#|
|7 days||1.5 GB||79 THB||*900*8155#|
|7 days||4 GB||99 THB||*900*8156#|
|7 days||8 GB||149 THB||*900*8311#|
|15 days||10 GB||199 THB||*900*8301#|
|15 days||15 GB||249 THB||*900*8302#|
|30 days||1 GB||150 THB||*900*8903#|
|30 days||2 GB||199 THB||*900*8157#|
|30 days||6 GB||299 THB||*900*8158#|
|30 days||12 GB||499 THB||*900*8159#|
Daily and weekly plans are once off and can be activated new anytime. All monthly plans auto-renew after 30 days. For more data on monthly plans, add one of these add-ons:
- 179 THB: 1 GB, 30 days, *900*8936#
- 279 THB: 2 GB, 30 days, *900*8937#
- 379 THB: 3 GB, 30 days. *900*8938#
Low speed data packages ('3G packs')
You can simply get one of their prepaid SIM cards and add from their big variety of data packs. For the "unlimited" internet plans below, data is capped at the listed speed, but usage is unlimited; there is no longer any FUP or further throttling. These packages used to be called 3G packs, but work on 4G/LTE too, but throttled:
|512 kbps||7 days||89 THB||*900*3713#|
|30 days||300 THB||*900*3719#|
|1 Mbps||24 hours||25 THB||*900*3704#|
|48 hours||45 THB||*900*3709#|
|7 days||120 THB||*900*3714#|
|30 days||350 THB||*900*3720#|
|2 Mbps||24 hours||28 THB||*900*3705#|
|7 days||150 THB||*900*3715#|
|30 days||450 THB||*900*3721#|
|4 Mbps||24 hours||32 THB||*900*3706#|
|48 hours||59 THB||*900*3710#|
|7 days||220 THB||*900*3716#|
|30 days||650 THB||*900*3722#|
|6 Mbps||24 hours||45 THB||*900*3707#|
|48 hours||85 THB||*900*3711#|
|7 days||270 THB||*900*3717#|
|30 days||850 THB||*900*3723#|
|10 Mbps||24 hours||55 THB||*900*3708#|
|48 hours||100 THB||*900*3712#|
|7 days||330 THB||*900*8884#|
For all final prices add 7% taxes.
Tourist SIM: 5G Tourist SIM
TrueMove H sells special SIM cards for tourists too. The tourist SIM card is now called 5G Tourist SIM, and unlike the standard prepaid starters, do not require the purchase of separate 5G packages. They come in 3 different starter packs:
- 49 THB: with unlimited True WiFi and social apps for 24 hours, 15 THB call credit for 30 days
- 299 THB: with 15 GB data, unlimited True WiFi, social apps and 100 THB call credit for 8 days
- 599 THB: with 30 GB data, unlimited True WIFi, social apps and 50 THB call credit for 15 days
To activate, type *123#.
On the 49 THB SIM, for the list of social apps with free usage, see the "Social SIM" list above. Additionally, a top-up of 100 THB or more will extend the unlimited use of social apps another 8 days.
Data beyond the included allowance is not charged but throttled to 384kbps. Officially, only one additional bundle is advertised:
- 3 GB full-speed data, unlimited at 384k after for 8 days, 150 THB, activate by dialing *900*1756#
Unofficially, their regular 3G and 4G packs have sometimes worked in the past, so you might give them a try. However, effective 2018, this seems to be discontinued and all attempts to activate a regular bundle on a Tourist SIM seems to usually be denied.
True has like dtac and AIS many WiFi hotspots throughout the country. They have the biggest WIFI network with more than 100,000 hotspots: Hotspot Locator. When not included in your plan, they offer these packages for a max. speed of 200 Mbps (add 7% taxes):
- for 1 day: 39 THB, activation: *900*82#
- for 1 week: 59 THB, activation: *900*84#
- for 1 month: 100 THB, activation: *900*83#
To acquire your WiFi password dial *871*4# for free. The weekly and monthly packages auto-renew. More info about their WiFi.
For roaming there are two options- one is to purchase a standard prepaid starter pack, which supports roaming. The other, if you wish to maintain a separate, dedicated SIM or have purchased a tourist SIM with no roaming, is to purchase their Travel SIM separately. Similar to AIS and dtac they sell a SIM for roaming in Asia or worldwide. The following starters are available:
- for Asia with 6 GB for 8 days: THB 399
- worldwide with 6 GB for 15 days: THB 899
Their Travel SIM Asia includes more than 20 countries, while the Travel SIM World includes over 70 countries. The SIM is activated as soon as it connects to a roaming network. Roaming in China is not censored, and the SIM now supports both China Mobile and China Unicom, resulting in wider compatibility. The APN may need to be set manually to 'internet' and username/password 'true'. Both standard prepaid starter packs and the Travel SIMs can be reloaded with the following packages:
|Neighboring Countries||99 THB||15 days||2 GB||*115*099#|
|Asia||150 THB||3 days||1 GB||*115*150#|
|Asia||199 THB||3 days||3 GB||*115*199#|
|Asia||299 THB||8 days||4 GB||*115*299#|
|Asia||399 THB||10 days||7 GB||*115*399#|
|Asia||999 THB||30 days||10 GB||*115*999#|
|World||300 THB||3 days||1 GB||*115*300#|
|World||499 THB||7 days||3 GB||*115*499#|
|World||799 THB||15 days||4 GB||*115*799#|
|World||899 THB||15 days||7 GB||*115*899#|
|World||1599 THB||30 days||10 GB||*115*1599#|
1 GB and 2 GB packages are hard-capped, other packages offer continued use at 128 kbps without charges until the end of package validity.
1 More information
- IDD prefixes for calling abroad: 006 for quality or 00600 for budget (on the Tourist SIM starting from 1 THB per min to major countries)
- APN: internet - username and password: true
- Website partly in English: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/?ln=en
- To change SMS notifications to English: Press *700 <call>, then 1 (For English), 5 (Change Language), 2 (SMS), 2 (English), 1 (Confirm)
- or press 9304 <call>, then follow voice prompts to switch language between Thai and English.
- check your remaining balance by 9302 <call> (voice response) or *123# <call> (SMS response).
My (by CAT)
My is a MVNO operated by CAT Telecom Public Company Ltd., the state-owned company that runs Thailand’s international telecommunications infrastructure, including its international gateways, satellite, and submarine cable network connections.
It's the 4th largest mobile network operator in Thailand and owns spectrum on the 850 Mhz frequency, rents it out to True Move. In return it can use 20% of the bandwidth for their own My by CAT operation and other MVNOs (see below). Towers and network are operated by True Move for their own 3G 850 Mhz. In 2016 they started national roaming with True for 4G/LTE. To all prices below add 7% taxes.
Frequencies and coverage
My has only 3G/HSPA+ on 850 Mhz (= B5) without fall-back to 2G. As My uses the same 850 MHz network as True Move, their 3G coverage is the same. By 2014 it had a coverage of approximately 97% of population and consisted of around 14,000 BTS. But as there are way less users on CAT's 20% share as they have roughly a market share including MVNOs of 1-2% so far.
Starting in 2016 they opened up 4G/LTE access by national roaming on the 4G/LTE 1800 MHz and 2100 MHz network of True Move. Summing up, for the CAT offers below you need 3G on 850 MHz and 4G/LTE on 1800 and 2100 MHz (B3, B1).
My by CAT shops and CAT service centers are now showing up in some shopping malls (locator in Thai-English).
Top-up vouchers can be found at various locations like CAT stores, AJ Sabaidee top-up kiosks, U Top-up at Big C and postal offices, Tesco Lotus and 7-Eleven (only for THB 100 and 300). To top-up by code type *901*<voucher code>#. To check balance type *902#.
For cheap data by MB you can change to MY Net plan by *905*03# for free. It has the lowest default rate of 0.50 THB per MB. Check your base plan by *905*00#.
High speed data packages
For short-time these packages in full 3G and 4G speeds are given out:
- for 24 hours: 500 MB THB 19 - *906*146#, 1 GB THB 29 - *906*147#, 2 GB THB 39 - *906*150#, 3 GB THB 49 - *906*153#,
- for 7 days: 1 GB THB 39 - *906*148#, 2 GB THB 49 - *906*151#, 3 GB THB 59 - *906*154#, 4 GB THB 69 - *906*156#
- for 15 days: 1 GB THB 59 - *906*149#, 2 GB THB 69 - *906*152#, 3 GB THB 79 - *906*155#, 4 GB THB 89 - *906*157#
These monthly plans on 3G and 4G/LTE roaming on True with full speed are offered:
- 1 GB: THB 199 - activation: *906*288#
- 3 GB: THB 299 - activation: *906*290#
- 6 GB: THB 399 - activation: *906*292#
- 12 GB: THB 499 - activation: *906*294#
- 18 GB: THB 599 - activation: *906*296#
- 36 GB: THB 899 - activation: *906*298#
All packages are for 31 days, overuse is throttled to 384 kbps. To all prices add 7% taxes.
Low speed data packages
Similar to major providers CAT also offers capped packages with unlimited slow speed:
- max. 1 Mbps: 1 GB for 1 day = THB 25; 3 GB for 7 days = THB 120, 10 GB for 31 days = THB 299
- max. 2 Mbps: 1 GB for 1 day = THB 28; 6 GB for 7 days = THB 150, 15 GB for 31 days = THB 399
- max. 4 Mbps: 1.5 GB for 1 day = THB 32; 9 GB for 7 days = THB 220, 20 GB for 31 days = THB 599
- max. 6 Mbps: 1.5 GB for 1 day = THB 37; 12 GB for 7 days = THB 270, 25 GB for 31 days = THB 799
- max. 8 Mbps: 2 GB for 1 day = THB 43; 15 GB for 7 days = THB 300, 30 GB for 31 days = THB 899
- max. 10 Mbps: 2 GB for 1 day = THB 50; 18 GB for 7 days = THB 330, 35 GB for 31 days = THB 999
To all prices above add 7% VAT. All overuse is at max. 384 kbps.
- IDD prefix for calling abroad: 009 starting at THB 1.50 to some European, Asian countries and USA (list)
- APN: internet
- Website partly in English: http://www.mybycat.com/en/
Penguin SIM (on CAT)
In 2016 some new MVNOs started mainly on the CAT network. The most visible so far is Penguin SIM by White Space. It's aimed at the Thai youth, but accessible to everyone and heavily marketed at small street vendors and other places. It has certain pros and cons, you should be aware of. Most starter kits are on the 3G-only CAT network (see above). While it has a good coverage identical to True's 3G footprint, it doesn't offer a 2G fallback and you need to have a device capable of 850 MHz in 3G. They sell only one starter kit that supports 4G/LTE, it only offers access to True's 2100 MHz (B1) network, and it is named very similarly to another, 3G-only starter kit (SIM Rider Plus compared to SIM Rider) and can not be changed later so make sure you're purchasing the correct SIM starter kit at the store.
Penguin SIM has very low prices, but most of their rates are severely throttled. That means that they can be good for messaging like LINE (preferred messenger in Thailand) or basic internet, but inconvenient for browsing websites. All of their publications are in Thai only. To all the given prices below (except on the Tourist SIM) add 7% taxes.
All their SIM cards are sold for THB 49 with THB 20 credit when you top-up THB 50-100 only at street vendors and major kiosks chains. They are rarely offered at airports or tourist hotspots etc. On the street you will be told that you don't need registration. As it's required by law, you'll risk disconnection, but you might be fine for a short time. In a kiosk chain store let them register it for you.
Top-ups are available at the usual stores like FamilyMart and 7-Eleven. Check balance by *502#, check your number by *504#.
They offer different plans that can't be changed except from a classic or SIM Rider SIM to a Sud Soi SIM. As it's only written in Thai on the package, it might be hard to find out as they differ:
- Classic Pinguin SIM is sold in some Family Mart stores for THB 49 with THB 15 credit valid for 30 days. Internet is included at THB 39 per day, but severely throttled at 128 kbps.
- SIM Rider is sold in some 7-Eleven and Jiffy stores. It has unlimited data capped at 1 or 4 Mbps.
- @ max. 1 Mbps: THB 20 for 24 hours - *555*81#; THB 55 for 3 days - *555*82*1#; THB 99 for 7 days - *555*83*1#; THB 279 for 30 days - *555*87*1#
- @ max. 4 Mbps: THB 24 for 24 hours - *555*84#; THB 63 for 3 days - *555*85*1#; THB 119 for 7 days - *555*86*1#; THB 450 for 30 days - *555*88*1#
- SIM Rider Plus is Penguin's only 4G/LTE SIM. It charges a default rate of 0.50 THB per MB and has the following packages of full-speed data with overuse at 128kbps:
- 1 GB: 50 THB for 24 hours- *555*92#, 85 THB for 7 days- *555*93#
- 3 GB: 195 THB for 31 days- *555*94#
- 5 GB: 295 THB for 31 days- *555*96#
- Me and You SIM is Penguin's newest starter pack and available in some 7-Eleven stores for THB 49 with THB 15 credit valid for 30 days. Internet is included at THB 20 per day, but severely throttled at 128 kbps.
- Sud Soi SIM has Penguin's most comprehensive selection of add-ons, with unlimited capped-speed data add-ons ranging from 24 hours to 1 year as well as some data add-ons with FUP. The default rate without an add-on is 0.90 THB per MB.
On the Classic and Me and You SIM cards these high speed add ons (on 3G only) can be added:
|24 hours||500 MB||25 THB||*555*501#|
|1 GB||35 THB||*555*502#|
|7 days||2 GB||79 THB||*555*503#|
|15 days||4 GB||150 THB||*555*504#|
|30 days||9 GB||250 THB||*555*505#|
For all prices add taxes. Overuse is at 128 kbps. Unlimited data add-ons for Sud Soi SIMs are as follows:
|24 hours||384 kbps||7 THB||*906*27#|
|512 kbps||9 THB||*906*28#|
|2 Mbps||15 THB||*906*341#|
|4 Mbps||25 THB||*906*167#|
|6 Mbps||29 THB||*906*168#|
|8 Mbps||35 THB||*906*169#|
|7 days||384 kbps||25 THB||*906*07#|
|512 kbps||55 THB||*906*08#|
|2 Mbps||75 THB||*906*342#|
|4 Mbps||149 THB||*906*164#|
|6 Mbps||179 THB||*906*165#|
|8 Mbps||195 THB||*906*166#|
|31 days||384 kbps||99 THB||*906*02#|
|45 days||512 kbps||215 THB||*906*354#|
|1 Mbps||279 THB||*906*351#|
|62 days||4 Mbps||379 THB||*906*350#|
|6 Mbps||479 THB||*906*349#|
|8 Mbps||679 THB||*906*348#|
|93 days||1 Mbps||550 THB||*906*190#|
|4 Mbps||950 THB||*906*191#|
|6 Mbps||1000 THB||*906*203#|
|186 days||1 Mbps||600 THB||*906*176#|
|4 Mbps||1400 THB||*906*178#|
|6 Mbps||1800 THB||*906*204#|
|372 days||1 Mbps||1200 THB||*906*177#|
|4 Mbps||2500 THB||*906*179#|
45 day plans come with 50 minutes and 62 day plans come with 100 minutes of domestic voice to all networks
There are also "Speed on Top" packages which include a limited amount of data at either 2 or 4 Mbps:
|7 days||1 GB||19 THB||*906*256#|
|2 GB||29 THB||*906*258#|
|3 GB||39 THB||*906*259#|
|4 GB||49 THB||*906*261#|
|15 days||3 GB||59 THB||*906*260#|
|4 GB||69 THB||*906*262#|
|1 day||1 GB||19 THB||*906*263#|
|7 days||1 GB||29 THB||*906*264#|
|2 GB||39 THB||*906*266#|
|3 GB||49 THB||*906*267#|
|4 GB||59 THB||*906*269#|
|15 days||3 GB||69 THB||*906*268#|
|4 GB||79 THB||*906*270#|
And the "Enjoy 100 GB" add-ons, which are long-running packages that provide 100 GB at the stated speed and throttle to 384 kbps after:
|8 Mbps||93 days||950 THB||*906*318#|
|186 days||1400 THB||*906*319#|
|372 days||2500 THB||*906*320#|
|10 Mbps||93 days||1000 THB||*906*321#|
|186 days||1800 THB||*906*322#|
In all of the above tables, packages that are poorer value than other packages have been omitted (for example, there is a 1 Mbps tier of Enjoy 100 GB add-ons but they cost more than the unlimited usage package for the same time periods).
- Tourist SIM is available in certain locations (mainly SuperRich currency exchange booths in Bangkok), comes with unlimited data at 1 Mbps for 24 hours and unlimited calls to other Penguin Tourist SIM users, and the following top-up packages, added through the Visit Thailand Card app, available for iOS or Android (not geo-blocked):
- Unlimited @ 1 Mbps : 99 THB for 7 days
- Unlimited @ 4 Mbps : 179 THB for 7 days
- 4 GB full speed : 99 THB for 7 days, 120 THB for 15 days
Note that unlike with the other packages (and all other providers), VAT is included in Tourist SIM packages. You can extend validity by 3 months for 30 THB or by 6 months for 50 THB.
- IDD prefix for calling abroad: 009 starting at THB 1.50 to some European, Asian countries and the US
- APN: internet
- Website in Thai only: http://www.penguinsim.com/
- Tourist SIM info page in English: here
Finn Mobile (previously LINE Mobile, on dtac)
LINE is the most popular social messenger in Thailand. In 2017 they teamed up with dtac and launched LINE Mobile powered by DTN on dtac's 3G and 4G network as a MVNO. They offer unlimited use of free Line services including Line Messenger, Line Calls, Line Video, and Line TV not debited from your data allowance. In 2019 Line Mobile was rebranded to Finn Mobile.
This SIM card is only available online through their website delivered by courier all over Thailand selecting one of their plans from below. For activation foreigners need to send a selfie with the SIM card and another pic with the photo of your passport. So it might not be so useful for travellers as it might take a while (they say 2-3 days) and you need a postal address in Thailand.
All management of the SIM card is made through their app available for iOS and Android. For payment it need to be linked to a VISA, MasterCard or a Rabbit Line Pay.
Data feature packages
All Line applications are free and basic data at low speed of max. 256 Kbps are for free as well as SMS. Fast data up to 100 Mbps are taken from one of these monthly combo plans which can be changed each month:
|Lite||5 GB||0 Mins||399 THB||189 THB|
|Special||20 GB||100 mins||499 THB||229 THB|
|Max||80 GB||300 mins||1099 THB||279 THB|
|Unlimited||U/L||U/L mins||1999 THB||499 THB|
For the packages marked with (#) a 50-70% discount shown as promotion in the table is given every month for max. 12 months.
For extra data you can add 1 GB at 60 THB.
- APN: internet
- Website in English: https://finnmobile.io/en